Question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
gem27
Brand New Poster

Question

Postby gem27 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:59 pm

Hello!

I was on these boards about 5 years ago during a bout of C Diff following Clindamycin use.
Have only needed Macrobid one time for a UTI, which went fine.

Unfortunately, I recently had a dental issue, and needed to take an antibiotic. My oral surgeon knows my history, and prescribed Z Pak for me.
I took 2 pills yesterday, 1 today, and had a reg BM this morning, then a small diarrhea episode this afternoon.

I'm on Florastor once a day, along with Motrin and Tylenol for pain.

My question is, can a person show signs of C Diff so soon after starting a course of abx?

I'm not worried yet, just curious if that's even possible?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:53 pm

Hi gem27 - Usually not this soon, but I guess it is possible. Zpak can give D that is not c diff. Since you need to take it only once a day if I am not mistaken, take it with food and using the Florastor is also a good idea. If you tolerate yogurt or kefir, that would be good to eat too.

gem27
Brand New Poster

Postby gem27 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:53 am

Thank you Beth, hopefully it is just a regular antibiotic side-effect like you said.

I've added yogurt, and will def have food with my next dose.

No more episodes so far, fingers-crossed!

I've dreaded needing an antibiotic for years, I'll be very relieved if it is uneventful.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:46 pm

I took zpack once before I had c. diff and the zpack gave me horrible diarrhea and made me feel terrible overall.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”