Mild CDiff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Mild CDiff?

Postby BetsyS » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:29 am

Hi! I've been a poster on this forum for a while. I contracted CDiff two years while in the hospital for a hemicolectomy and cancer. I had a pretty severe case, and had two relapses following the initial infection. My surgery and CDiff have left me with chronic D. I've learned to adjust to my new "norm" of D 1-3 times per day. I actual do have a few days now and then with regular stools. None The less, my Dr told me I'm at risk for getting CDiff again because I'm colonized and on PPIs

The past few months I've been having a slight fever, cramping, bloating, nausea and severe D 5-6 times per day. It lasts for about 4 days and I return to my norm for a few days, even a couple of weeks, but then it comes back. There are no food triggers, but I find I can't tolerate things that disagreed with me during CDiff, Coffee for one. I was having an episode at my last oncology visit in July. Dr. noted a slight fever and elevated white blood cell count, but found no cause.

I'm hesitant to raise a red flag, but could this be a mild case of CDiff? i'm not nearly as sick as my original case (5 days hospital, kidneys shutting down etc.), But each episode seems to be getting worse.

roy
Administrator

Re: Mild CDiff?

Postby roy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:04 pm

Possibly.
You might be getting minor symptoms and then your body deals with it without needing treatment.
If it gets worse you could test but while your immune systems dealing with it (and winning) it's a wait and see situation.
Treating mild symptoms might make it worse.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:49 pm

I had mild c diff for a long time, also coming and going like yours. I did test and it was positive. My doctors told me to treat with Pepto Bismol when I got the symptoms, but not to take any antibiotics to treat it unless it got bad.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:03 pm

Thank you both. It's so difficult to tell because my D is chronic. These episodes are different from my norm; I just haven't felt well. The last two episodes were particularly bad; I was certain the monster had reawakened, but the fever broke and things returned to normal. I'm going to start taking extra precautions and break out the bleach and gloves. My 94 mother lives with me, and I'm her primary caregiver.

Roy, thank you for confirming I'm not losing my mind. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Are there ways to bolster my immunity? I already take B6, B12, C, D and calcium supplements per my Drs recommendations. I can't take Floraster anymore, but I may try a different probiotic. Other suggestions?

Beth- I've read some of your posts on Pepto. I tried tablets a few months back, but they did nothing. I'll give liquid form a shot.

Again, thank you both for your support.

tomb523
New User

Postby tomb523 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:01 pm

I'm fairly new to trying to treat c.diff. I was just officially diagnosed, but have been dealing with chronic diarrhea for at least 4 years now due to Prilosec type abuse due to GERD. Mine is mild and I have elected to treat with diet instead of drugs. At first I increased probiotics which had inconsistent results, but over the last couple of weeks, I have shifted my diet to high prebiotic content. Every meal I've had in the last two weeks has contained some prebiotics or resistant starch component and increased as I've acquired more ingredients. It is helping so far, but again it's only 2 weeks. I've exchanged pure coffee for chicory at 4:1 ratio. I'm combining flours (green plantain, cassava, flaxseed) on any recipe that calls for flour. I've added sprouted beans (black beans, black eyed peas, kidney beans) to meals and recipes and I'm adding inulin power to help sweeten certain dishes and even coffee. In addition, I take a probiotic and I eat a lot of fermented foods like kraut, beets, kimchee, kefir, kombucha and yogurt.

Previously, I'd been happy when, what did someone else call it - pudding poo was the result between almost pure watery discharge, but about two or three weeks ago, as my diet changed over, pudding poo was consistent with periodic firm movements and now, for the last week its been maybe 2 movements a day and all fairly firm. I do confess to being just a bit more gassy, but I live alone soooo...

Good luck to you.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:50 am

Thanks Tomb523. I too am a Gerd sufferer. My ID doctor wanted me off Prilosec, my GI says it's necessary for me to be on it. I was able to cut my daily dose through diet. I was taking Floraster, but have not tolerated probiotics well. I like fermented food, but it doesn't always like me.

I'll have to look into your prebiotic your diet. Everything food-wise seems to be trial and error; I need to strike a balance between what I can handle with Gerd and my colon.

I hope you continue to do well!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”