Spouse contracting cdiff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Zapper
Regular Contributor

Spouse contracting cdiff?

Postby Zapper » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:02 am

Anyone had their spouse get cdiff from them?
I had recurrent cdiff for 2 years 2015/2017 and was cured by 2 FMTs. He took care of me and was in close contact the entire time.
He just had a vasectomy and was prescribed Keflex… the doctor was very adamant that he NEEDED to take it and that it would be fine. He’s taking probiotics as well. Today, he tells me his stomach is upset/diarrhea (which I know can happen anyway not just cdiff). This has sent me into a PTSD episode where I’m afraid that I gave this to him and also afraid to be in my own home.

Advise? Suggestions? Someone to help knock some sense into me?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Spouse contracting cdiff?

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:21 am

Way before I ever heard of c difficile, Keflex gave me terrible D when I took it. My husband was around me the whole time I had multiple relapses and he never got it. I would continue to have him take probiotics. If the D continues, maybe ask the doctor if he can take something different. How many days does he have to take the Keflex? I did better when I took one 500mg tablet twice a day with my meals than when I took 250mg 4 x per day. I have not taken it since I had c diff though.

ajml13
New User

Re: Spouse contracting cdiff?

Postby ajml13 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:40 pm

I was very ill with Cdiff about a month ago and my husband was helping me clean up and sleeping in the same bed, before we knew what I was sick with. About a month later, he got terrible D for 12 days, way longer than I ever did. He may have contracted it from me, the hospital where I had my C section (which is where I think I caught the bacteria), or from our baby, its hard to say. But yes, we unfortunately both had it. I hope your husband doesn't have it! Best wishes.
35 yo F Diagnosed with Cdiff Sept 2021.
Completed 1 round of Vanco 10 days, 1 round of Dificid 10 days. EIA test came back positive for A+B toxins after Dificid.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”