HELP PLEASE- I need you guys !!!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

HELP PLEASE- I need you guys !!!

Postby Lissaucd » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:53 am

I woke up this morning with yellow diarrhea with foam. I have been very anxious as my husband has been working a lot and my anxiety is bad (I’m sure you have read my other posts) i’ve been taking Pepto-Bismol in the mornings and decided not to do it yesterday. Yesterday I only had one bowel movement in the morning and it was a little loose. This morning I had diarrhea, yellow, foam. But it wasn’t pure water coming out. Do you think that the Pepto suppressed the CDF since I’ve been taking it for about a week?

Please help, you all know how bad I am with my anxiety and fear. I need you guys!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: HELP PLEASE- I need you guys !!!

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:45 pm

If you take a lot of Pepto, it might suppress the c diff a little, but it won't stop it. I had a terrible relapse years ago and I had been on Pepto. I still tested positive for c diff despite the Pepto.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:59 pm

In your PM to me you mentioned you had 2 helpings of fried rice, probably not the best choice!
If diarrhea continues 3x a day for 3 days in a row get tested.
Anything other than that is hopefully normal recovery.
Make wiser choices about food though

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Yes I did! But it was maybe a teaspoon mixed with jasmine rice. Just for flavor. Hopefully that was the reason for it

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:08 pm

Thank you! I was taking pepto every morning about a teaspoon. Yesterday didn’t take pepto- this morning D! But I did try a little bit of fried rice. I was getting tired of being scared of food and thought it would be okay. I’m tired of eating chicken, baked potatoes, crackers Ans rice out of fear. I was trying to be brave, wrong choice. I have only gone once today and had a half of bagel. Thanks for the support. I don’t know what I would do without you all

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:14 pm

Should I stop taking pepto? I had to take my daughter to dance today Ans I took some bc I was nervous

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:01 pm

Pepto will not mask or cause C. Diff.
Used as directed it should be OK.
Ask your Dr's advice if you have doubts.
If you are able to do normal things like take your daughter to dance you probably don't have much to worry about.
People with C. Diff stay VERY close to their bathroom.
One poster described it perfectly as "an involuntary waterfall flowing from my butt"

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:17 pm

Thank you Roy! Can’t thank everyone enough! I’m making some air fried French fries right now. Back to safe food

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:12 am

Air fried or not, french fries are not a very good choice if you don't want D. And the amount of Pepto you took wouldn't suppress or mask anything. My GI recommended that I take it when I was having major IBS issues after c difficile and it helped me. Check with your doctor, as Roy said. If the D continues, even on a bland diet, then get tested.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:47 am

I just cut fresh potatoes Ans put into an air frier- so it’s basically like a baked potato but crispy! Thanks for the advice with pepto! I had a half of bagel, air fried potatoes and a jelly sandwich and pickles. No D again so far. Just this morning. Mornings seem the hardest for me. I cut back on probiotics as well. Thanks again everyone!!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:01 am

It might not be a bad idea to keep a food diary and see what you eat and how it affects your GI symptoms. You may see a pattern of foods that don't agree. I find it hard to remember what I ate a few days back, so a food diary is a way of remembering.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:10 am

Great idea- thank you Beth!!!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:28 pm

Have small meals! Better frequent small meals than eating a lot a one sitting.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:29 pm

Yes! My mom is over helping me! She has been doing little meals Ans slowly introducing new foods. Still makes me nervous that I will get an upset stomach when I eat

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Hi Lissaucd,

I can relate to what you're going through. A year ago I was in the same position, very afraid to try new foods and convinced I was relapsing if I had any D. I want to try to put your mind at ease. I'm now 15 months out from treatment, and although I still have pi-ibs, I'm doing a lot better in terms of anxiety surrounding foods.

Keep in mind that sugars can cause loose stools, so a diet heavy in carbs could be the culprit. But also, your body is still adjusting and recovering, and sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it.

If a person truly has cdiff, there is no amount of bland food or pepto that will stop it. When I had cdiff, I ate plain white rice for days to no avail, it made absolutely no difference, still had D 20 times a day. Recovery can take several months, even years, and there might be some off days where you have D inexplicably. This is to be expected.

My gastroenterologist advised me to eat a diverse diet and not to stick to bland foods only. He said the sooner I get back to my regular foods, the sooner my gut flora would replenish. So I kept introducing new foods, and even though I had D I would try to just get through it. Eventually I got used to fruits and veggies again (for the most part, some things still cause a flare-up - raw bell peppers are a big no-no). I had many moments where I was afraid of relapse, but the thing is, regular food won't cause a relapse. In fact, healthy, nutrient-rich foods like lentils, blueberries, and avocadoes - which all cause loose stools for me - all help to feed the good gut bacteria.

I hope you continue to feel better and make a full recovery.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”