Too clean cause c diff? ROY! I need your help!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Too clean cause c diff? ROY! I need your help!

Postby Lissaucd » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:55 pm

I have posted previously- I had no antibiotics, went to Yosemite came back 3 days later with watery D. I have gone into a hospital for routine doc appointments prior months but that’s it. Since April, I had d on Ans off with yellow stool- my doc did stool sample but not for c diff all normal. Then in July after my trip to Yosemite my gi doc tested me and came back inter. So sent it to lab for pcr- came back positive. Did vanco 10 days. Then did dificid for ten. I’m not even sure I needed to do dificid. However I did tested positive for antigen and toxicins. It was about 7 days after finishing vanco I panicked after finishing vanco after seeing pudding poo for one day.

My question is, I suffer from severe anxiety related to health and germs. I was very cautious bc of covid. I mean, I didn’t go out for at least 7 months except for my parents. My husband thinks I may have gotten c diff from not being exposed to anything including bad bacteria. I’m having a hard time eating out of fear and I can’t stop thinking I’m still contagious. I have been off of dificid for almost two weeks. It’s ruining my life bc I can’t get back to normal and my anxiety is bad.

Roy you have helped so many people with your logical reasoning. I would appreciate any advice.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: Too clean cause c diff? ROY! I need your help!

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:23 am

lissaucd, sorry to hear you you had to go through that. I got C Diff in early 2020 because my hygienist used oral antibiotic spray on my gum after every visit and I was there every 4 months. When I got C Diff and the doctor asked me if I have been on antibiotics I said, no. It took me a while to realize( remember) the oral antibiotics spray after a dental cleaning. It takes about a year or so after C Diff to get back to some level of a new norm.
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:10 am

Lissaucd - I have not heard of anyone getting c difficile from being too clean. I got mine when I visited my mom at a nursing home. Going into a hospital does of course expose you to all kinds of bacteria, but many people harbor c diff in their intestines and when conditions are right, c diff proliferates. Usually it is after antibiotic use, but it is becoming more common in the community. I think when our immune systems get run down, it does not help either. C diff is found in soil too, and you could have picked it up in Yosemite as well. I have heard of animals who have had it, although not that often. I would not worry about where you got it, but ust make sure to wash your hands well. I wash them after I put on my shoes, for example, because shoes carry a lot of bacteria. I always wash them before I put any food into my mouth and after using the toilet of course. Many people on this site have written about having anxiety after being ill with c difficile. Talk to your doctor about that. Maybe you need to take some anti-anxiety meds for a while or try something like meditation or yoga or other type of exercise. I find when I am anxious, that exercise, even just walking helps me.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:06 am

Hi Beth!

Thank you for the advice. It’s just a hard time for me right now. I just want this to be over with.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:20 pm

Be guided by your symptoms, not by test results and be cautious of a Dr that wants to test to see if it's gone
Tests are useless at proving a cure.
As for being contagious:-)
For someone to catch c. diff from you they have literally got to eat your poop!
Simply avoid getting your poop onto anything by washing your hands and all will be fine.
Your NOT leaving a trail of c. diff bugs behind you and you don't need to worry about passing it on.
Yes you had a positive test but that may have been Totaly coincidental to what actually caused the few days of D that followed your trip.
We are all going to get sickness bugs when we go back out into the normal world after isolating, I think that's inevitable but assuming you husband has not isolated as much as you it's fair to say he brought LOADS of bacteria home that was quite happy to consider your gut/skin/various other bits as its new home.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:37 pm

Thank you Roy!!!!!! I’m having such a hard time. I did have some d today which freaked me out but it wasn’t watery. Like pudding. But my time of month is coming so I’m trying to stay calm about things. I lost a lot of weight. I’m only 105 pounds. I’m a stay at home mama. I’m scared to eat thinking it will cause d.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:45 pm

I forgot to mention when I did have pudding poo today it did smell a little again. But I have only gone once. Before this the smell was almost gone!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:58 pm

If you had never heard of C. Diff today's pudding poo would not have worried you.
Your worrying about what might happen before it's happened!
Expect some off days, even if it was not C. Diff you have been on some serious meds that can upset your gut and it takes a long time to recover.
Poop stinks, don't smell it, close the lid and flush without looking.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:03 pm

Thank you Roy, I’m literally in tears bc I needed your help. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. You have helped me more than my therapist!!!

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:07 pm

One last question- I have been off meds fir two weeks. I have had pudding poo To solid stool. When is a good time to stop bleaching. I literally wear gloves in the shower bc I’m afraid of getting anything on me. I won’t even let my husband touch me until recently. My hands are red, raw and bleeding all the time.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:37 pm

Go back to normal household cleaning now.
No harm in occasional bleaching to keep germs away (all sorts, not just C. Diff) but no need to go over the top.
Guidelines about cleaning were written for hospitals where everything SHOULD be germ free but C. Diff was rampant.
Treat your hands to a rest from thorough washing, you don't want to end up with a skin infection that needs treating.
Also your skin has its own version of good flora, you don't want to kill all that as well.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:05 pm

use lotion on your hand every time after you wash your hand
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”