How did I get it??!??

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

How did I get it??!??

Postby Lissaucd » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:44 pm

No prior antibiotics and I was healthy! Went to Yosemite national Park came back with watery diarrhea three days later. Now I’m constantly worrying about how I can possibly get it again. Especially because I had no prior antibiotic use nor did Stay in a hospital. Just finished my 10 day treatment of dificid.

Now struggling to eat normal. Game my appetite back. And put the 15 pounds on that I loss. I’m already really small to begin with so this is very stressful. Not to mention the anxiety that goes with it. I would appreciate any help!!!

Thank you!!!
Last edited by Lissaucd on Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: How did I get it??!??

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:17 pm

That is unusual. Usually people who go to national parks get things like Giardia, parasites or other bacterial infections, but not c difficile. Were you tested for anything else besides? Did the Dificid stop the D?

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:23 pm

Hi Beth!

I went to Yosemite 3 days later, watery d every time I ate. Waited 6 days. When I did do the stool test it was like pudding, foamy and stinky ( but not horrible smell) I also had some stomach pains. Lost 3 pounds. They did check for everything. At first my test came back
Interdeterment result. No white blood cells found in my stool.

So then they did a PCR and that came up positive. But still no white blood cells. So I was given vanco for 10 days. After two days, I had the best stool I have ever had since I was a kid! I was eating normal Ans feeling great. After 7 days I had stool that was loose but not watery. (I did eat fast food twice in one day) I freaked out. We decided to wait, 6 days pass and mu anxiety was through the roof. I was nauseous, stool was formed but soft but did have a funny smell. They tested me again and it was positive. Put me on Deficid for 10 days. Could hardly eat while on the medicine due to nausea. Now doing okay- I have some pudding stool and semi formed. My anxiety is so bad. It takes me over an hour to shower bc I’m bleaching everything. I can’t stop obsessing. I’m afraid of giving it to my family. I feel like spores are on me. I’m having such a hard time.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Forgot to mention that I was using protcofoam for Hemmroids the month before. Was using for a whole month.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:29 pm

Proctofoam should have nothing to do with c diff. It has no antibiotic in it.
I agree with Beth. This is really unusual. You have not been in any hospital, nursing homes, etc?

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:32 pm

Hello there! Nothing. I had my blood drawn a couple times but that is it! I also did have my bottom checked when I was dealing with Hemmroids by my doc - about one month prior. No hospital stay, no nursing home and no antibiotics.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:40 pm

I have been giving it some thought and I really think the proctofoam may have given me c diff. I was using it every day for about a month. The doc was shocked when I told her, she told me I should have been using it here and there fir pain. I had no idea. That is the only prescription I had. When I stopped, that’s when I started to have D- which was about 10 days after.
I just wish I knew how I got it. Just so I can prevent it. Drives me bonkers thinking I can get it again. Then again, it could have been coincidental like Roy mentioned. But the bad stomach cramps Ans watery D makes me think otherwise. Every time I ate, I would have to go. Who knows, just had to vent. Thanks!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”