On day 13 of vancomycin with major improvement until last 2 days.

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Rs83
Brand New Poster

On day 13 of vancomycin with major improvement until last 2 days.

Postby Rs83 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:18 pm

I was diagnosed with C.diff two weeks ago. After 3 days of antibiotics, I was a lot better and after 5 days I felt pretty normal and had normal stools usually twice a day. That was until last night. I’ve had 3 watery stools today, nothing like before but still a stronger than normal urge to make it to the bathroom quick. My diet has been good and I have been taking a pro biotic every day. I didn’t eat the best yesterday and I had a blended drink with a lot of sugar. I felt fine really until today. My questions is, with only 1 more day of the antibiotic tomorrow, is this something I should be concerned about or anyone has dealt with, or can I just chalk it up to not eating as healthy yesterday. I knew I probably should have waited on eating a piece of pizza and a cocktail but i felt completely fine before.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: On day 13 of vancomycin with major improvement until last 2 days.

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:31 pm

It could be what you ate, but after I had taken vanco for a few days, my stools got looser. Also, probiotics can cause looser stools. See what happens after you stop the antibiotics. You may not need as big a dose of the probiotic also because the antibiotic won't be killing some of what the probiotic has in it.

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:48 pm

My gastroenterologist has told me that the sugar is forbidden during cdiff infection and even at least 1-2 months after the infection ... in fact the list of forbidden products during cdiff infection contains: sugar, milk and honey - the doctor told me that these 3 products should be excluded during the infection and for at least 1-2 months after the infection. About the pizza - it depends on what products it contains, but again, maybe it is still too early to include the pizza ... this is what I received as a precaution from my gastroenterologist, hope it is useful information for you too, but of course this is only an advice, it is always better to ask your doctor. Good luck with your recovery!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:34 pm

My GI did not tell me anything like that. Some people experience food intolerances to sugar, dairy, high residue foods, and high fiber/roughage, oil, etc.
I would strongly advise you to avoid alcohol as it is a GI irritant as are raw vegetables/ high fiber foods. Remember what your intestines have been through and they need time to heal. Add new foods slowly so you know what you are tolerating and don’t mistake food intolerances for a relapse. Everybody’s body is different but some intolerances are pretty common post c diff.

Best of luck,
Rita

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:30 pm

It will be many months before pizza and cocktails are back on your menu!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”