Fear of re-infection, please help

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
healthys
Contributor

Fear of re-infection, please help

Postby healthys » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:45 pm

Hello All,

I had cdiff in Oct 2020 and took 10 days of vancomycin and slowly started healing with a tonne of PI-IBS. On July 1st this year , I had a D&C procedure done for miscarriage where they gave me 1 dose of IV clindamycin to prevent any infection due to the procedure. It was done without my alignment. I was told I would be given a low offender antibiotic but was given clindamycin instead. I had been doing fine and taking florastor and culturele every single day. It has been 5.5 weeks and today I had WD twice along with 2 formed stools. I typically have 2-3 BMs a day since the last cdiff bout. This diarrhea was accompanied by white foamy stuff which I believe is mucous. This is the time line when I got the cdiff last time too , took abx, got cdiff 5 weeks after. I am going to wait and watch for 3X3 but this feels very much like last time.

Please guide on what tests to do. I believe they did PCR on me last time. Should I go on vanco or difficid?

Also please share any thoughts to help mentally. I am a nervous mess but holding it in outside. Almost close to tears that this has happened because they messed up on antibiotics for me.

( I have had a surgery where some of my small intestine and appendix and small part of large intestine was taken out due to a bad case of ruptured appendix and which caused a complication of an acute kidney injury as well )

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Fear of re-infection, please help

Postby Ril » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:02 pm

I am sorry you are going through this but you have asked this question before as a “just in case” in terms of what to do.

There is really only one test to take and that is a PCR test and must be ordered by your dr. Try your best to stay calm and if your symptoms continue you should call and have the test ordered. Eat bland for now as your diet and your emotions will affect your movements. Hopefully this is not a recurrence and two incidences are not enough to make the diagnosis of C. difficile.

Best of luck.
Rita

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:52 pm

I wanted to post an update here on how things are going.

1. For the past week , to be precise for consecutive 5 days, I have had "normal" formed BMs twice a day! Usually both before 11 AM.
2. Today I had 4 BMs and the final one was just plain watery diarrhea, but I will take the small wins I had for the previous 5 days.
3. To be honest, I haven't had straight 5 good days since the c diff last October 2020!

Things I changed:
1. I started taking Bacillus Coagulans probiotic which helped I think so I will continue taking 1 pill every day
2. I went back to writing in my food journal

I continue to take:
1. 1-2 florastor every day,
2. 1 fish oil supplement,
3. Benefiber 2 tsps
4. Prenatal
5. D-mannose - 1 capsule and cranberry 1 capsule to prevent UTI

Although the watery diarrhea today was disappointing and discouraging but I am happy to know that if my body has the right chemistry, I can have "normal BMs too.

I have never had colonoscopy etc just CT scans last year to diagnose a bad perforated appendix that I probably carried for 3 weeks which caused damage to surrounding parts of intestines and as a result I had an ileocecectomy done.

I do understand that my diarrhea or loose stools could very well be the result of this kind of surgery, sometimes when terminal ileum is removed, we can have bile salt malabsoprtion etc but I havent done any testing on any of these and I am just going with PI-IBS.

Here's hoping everyone's doing well and also hoping that someday I return to regular "normal" formed BMs forever!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:11 am

Thanks for posting the update. I'm glad to hear that you have improved. Even without the type of surgery that you had, IBS can cause those types of symptoms if you eat something that triggers it or sometimes it just happens without a particular reason. I wish you continued good progress and let us know how things go for you.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”