Recently diagnosed, immediately constipated after 36 hours on vancomycin

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Rs83
Brand New Poster

Recently diagnosed, immediately constipated after 36 hours on vancomycin

Postby Rs83 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:28 am

I recently tested positive for C.diff 3 days ago after 2 weeks of miserable diarrhea 10-20 times a day. I was prescribed Clindamycin 6 weeks ago because my son had a staph infection and I had an infected ingrown hair on the back of my head so the doctor prescribed me it to be “safe.” Looming back, I’m pretty angry about that. Never heard of c.diff before all of this so I’m new and concerned. The last couple days before I went to the ER and then at the ER my stool was pretty much just mucus. My white blood cell count wasn’t really high and the doc told me I had a mild infection at this point but it sure didn’t seem mild. Fast forward the next day after starting vancomycin I was still rough but this morning I woke up feeling much better and only had two loose stools, last one being around 10am. Fast forward it’s been an immediate shift towards constipation and bloating for the last 13 hours. I can not pass a stool, and have a hard time passing gas. Is this a cause for a concern with such a dramatic shift? I just took some Metamucil but after reading about the dangers of constipation with C.diff I am a bit concerned with the sudden shift for me.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recently diagnosed, immediately constipated after 36 hours on vancomycin

Postby beth22 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:37 pm

Hello Rs83 and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

I would not worry about the constipation. Prior to taking the vanco, you probably emptied out your colon with all the D. The concern you have about constipation is that if you have an active infection, you don't want to take something like Imodium to stop your bowels from working as the toxins can build up. But, now you are on vancomycin and that is fighting the infection. If you tolerate Metamucil, take it. I don't do well with those fiber supplements. Or you can try and eat more foods with fiber. Most likely, your GI tract will settle down. If you are still concerned, get in touch with your doctor and ask what else to do.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”