D&C , Anceph 1 dose via IV

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
healthys
Contributor

D&C , Anceph 1 dose via IV

Postby healthys » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:30 pm

Hello All,

I am 33F, my OB Gyn is recommending a D&C procedure for a missed miscarriage (scheduled in 3 days). My hgb levels are low at 10.8 g/dl and there is a risk of lot of bleeding through natural miscarriage or by using oral medicine. So she said D&C would be good in those terms as well. She said she will have to give me 1 dose of Anceph to prevent any post op infections. What would some of your guidance be? This is kind of elective but an important surgery to prevent complications. I also posted a few days back about using macrobid for UTI which I have to start taking from tomorrow because the doctor insisted that I do not wait to treat it. This UTI is due to Klebiesella Oxytacae.

Another note: in my previous surgery that I had last year for a bad perforated appendix (using abx for that eventually caused C-diff too) , I had an episode of acute kidney injury that resolved and my creatinine levels have been normal ever since and I am worried about Anceph regarding that as well!

So any thoughts, prayers, advice would be great or any shared experiences around C-Diff and D&C would be very helpful as well!

Thank you!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: D&C , Anceph 1 dose via IV

Postby georgina » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:40 am

If the antibiotic is needed there is not much to do, only pray not to relapse and up your probiotic intake . Hopefully , because it is just a single dose ,you will be fine.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:33 pm

I had the same thing for surgery - 1 dose- and took Florastor before and after and was fine!

Good luck.

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:39 pm

Thank you Georgina and Rita for the responses. I found out that during the D&C prep, the surgeon switched 1 dose of anceph to 1 dose of clindamycin on the recommendation of some infectious disease doctor ( not my ID) saying that if the patient is worried about anceph then clindamycin would be better! I have been so furious at this screw up! Which ID would ever say clindamycin is better than anceph!! It has been two weeks since D&C and I was given 1 dose so I have been praying and taking florastor and other probiotics through out. Due to the pregnancy , I had been on the constipated side and had been having formed stools but today I had one loose-ish stool after 2 formed stools. I usually go 2-3 times a day despite constipation because of my previous abdominal surgery.

Any advice on how to stay calm. What should be my options should cdiff recur? Last time I took 10 day course of vancomycin which was enough. Vanco is not an easy antibiotic that I wanna take especially with the history of acute kidney injury during my perforated appendix episode. That has since resolved and my creatinine has been in the normal range. I wonder if I should go for dificid this time if the need arises or would vanco still work?

Thanks for any insights!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:12 pm

I answered you after you sent me the PM. Again, I can’t say what I think of that ID dr.
No point repeating my advice but if you have any other questions I would be glad to respond.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”