UTI - Please Advise!!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
healthys
Contributor

UTI - Please Advise!!

Postby healthys » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:13 am

Hello All,

I got these following results from my urine culture. Please take a look. I am not sure I understand which antibiotic they will prescribe and I am not sure which bacteria this even is, never heard of it before. Could you please help guide on how to avoid C-Diff if I need to take any of these antibiotics? I am out of C Diff for 7 months now but have had a lot of PI-IBS. And that is one hell I want to avoid. Please do help kind people of this community! I have not yet received a call from the doc but the test results come on the online portal so was able to track them. Thinking I will get the call any minute. Which is the least offender here? I am allergic to sulpha drugs.

CULTURE, URINE, ROUTINE
SEE NOTE

CULTURE, URINE, ROUTINE

Micro Number: 10482276
Test Status: Final
Specimen Source: URINE, CLEAN CATCH
Specimen Quality: Adequate
Result: 50,000-100,000 CFU/mL of Klebsiella oxytoca

COMMENT: Additional non-predominating organism(s) isolated.
These organisms, commonly found on external and
internal genitalia, are considered colonizers. No
further testing performed.

K.oxytoca
----------------
INT MIC
AMOX/CLAVULANATE S 8
AMPICILLIN R >=32
AMP/SULBACTAM S 8
CEFAZOLIN R 8 **1
CEFEPIME S <=1
CEFTRIAXONE S <=1
CIPROFLOXACIN S <=0.25
ERTAPENEM S <=0.5
GENTAMICIN S <=1
IMIPENEM S <=0.25
LEVOFLOXACIN S <=0.12
NITROFURANTOIN S <=16
PIP/TAZOBACTAM S <=4
TOBRAMYCIN S <=1
TRIMETHOPRIM/SULFA S <=20

S=Susceptible I=Intermediate R=Resistant * = Not Tested
NR = Not Reported **NN = See Therapy Comments

roy
Administrator

Re: UTI - Please Advise!!

Postby roy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:18 am

Unfortunately that's a medical question so we can't give an answer.
I think Beth will confirm that counts below 100,000 are often not considered to be an infection that needs treating.

K.oxytoca is a normal gut bacteria but should not be in urine.
Are you 100% certain you submitted a mid flow "clean catch" sample?

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:10 pm

Thank you Roy. I just spoke to the nurse and she is advising on taking macrobid twice for 7 days. I am not sure if I gave mid flow but I tried to clean as much as I could before taking the sample. Yes the CFU/mL not being over 100K also caught my eye. I have never had a UTI before with this bacteria. I think 4-5 years back I had one with E.Coli & Strep B something which was treated with Cipro. But this is just totally new to me. I dont have symptoms apart from frequent urination but I also drink a tonne of water so it could be confounding. I am worried if Macrobid will even cure it and if I will tolerate it or not as I have never taken Macrobid before. Thanks for any guidance.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:16 pm

Almost all bacteria and viruses only need treating if they are causing symptoms.
The disease is the host response, not the bug!
Why did you test?

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:21 pm

I had lower back pain almost like lumbar pain for two days (Sun & Mon) so I requested a urinalysis. And they told me that the initial rapid test showed trace amounts of protein, blood and ketones and 1+ for leukocytes on Tue. They wanted me to start on macrobid right away but I asked for culture and then this result came today (Fri). I dont have the back pain anymore, haven't had it for over 4 days now. I also ran a home urine test last night because I was alarmed by traces of blood, protein and ketones and it showed trace/small leaukocytes but negative for everything else.

Should I ask for re-doing the urinalysis?

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:41 pm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:50 pm

This can cause a serious infection of the GU tract. It is puzzling how you got infected. If it would make you feel better since you have no classic symptoms such as burning or frequency, you can ask for a repeat clean catch C&S test, making sure you cleanse yourself well from front to rear, discarding your first bit of voiding and not touching the cup. Do not rely on a home test.

I would not ignore this just in case.

Rita

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:32 pm

Thanks Rita for responding. The doctor asked me to start macrobid and not wait for symptoms to develop since it can be a difficult to bacteria to treat. I even gave a new urine sample but she wasn't keen on retesting saying it already came positive for bacteria. Let me know what you think?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”