Question about the innovations in cdiff treatment

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Steffi
Contributor

Question about the innovations in cdiff treatment

Postby Steffi » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:46 am

Hi all,

I want to stress on the fact that nowadays and especially due to covid pandemic we see a lot of innovations in medicine. Even Moderna is working on HIV vaccine and many many new medicines have been recently discovered to fight against severe illnesses like Alzheimer for example. Considering these facts I am wondering whether the scientists are currently working to finally find an effective medicine to cure definitely c.diff eradicating the spores forever, etc.?
Would it be possible to use stem cells to restore a damaged gut?

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Steffi

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question about the innovations in cdiff treatment

Postby beth22 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:42 am

I have not heard anything about this type of research. In the past there have been clinical trials for vaccines for c difficile and nothing came of them. I am hopeful, like you, that something will materialize soon!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:35 am

I replied in a previous post about stem cells.
The answers NO, stem cell will not repair gut flora.
Labs are constantly working on a vaccine to prevent c.diff from causing disease.
it will work the same as the tetanus vaccine.
Tetanus is a clostridium bacteria very closely related to c.diff.
People will still catch and carry c.diff but the vaccine will teach the body not to react to it.
No vaccine works directly against a virus or bacteria it teaches the immune system how to deal with it.
Eventualy if the whole world is vaccinated the bacteria has nowhere to go and might die out but c.diff can and does live in animals so reaching eradication is probably impossible.
Smallpox is the ONLY disease thought to be eradicated by vaccine and that's taken over 100 years of vaccinating billions and billions of the worlds population.

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 am

Hi again,

Thank you very much for your answers. I apoligize to have doubled the question about the stem cells, I just could not find in which section I have posted it the first time when I asked ☺
This forum is a wonderful idea, thank you for helping!

Warm regards,
Steffi

PamO
New User

Postby PamO » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:09 pm

Hi Steffi,

I have been trying to keep on top of this topic...information is hard to find. It seems like results from the phase 3 CLOVER vaccine trial by Pfizer are expected in September. There are also clinical trials with novel microbiom treatments going on. I got that information from the doctor I consulted with at Mayo Clinic. I have also read about development of novel antibiotics, some of which appear to be promising, with the hope that they will leave the microbiome intact and eradicate bacteria and spores. There have also been results for a French trial of an active charcoal product that appeared to bind antibiotics before they reach the large intestine and protect the microbiome that way in the event an antibiotic needs to be taken. There is interesting work being done in the UK on phage therapy and I believe that this type of therapy is also being used in the country of Georgia.

wendyf
Brand New Poster

Postby wendyf » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:20 pm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:28 pm

Yes it possibly might be.
BUT
Sers-109 is just another name for an oral FMT, poop pills!
OK, nice poop pills:-)
It failed phase two trials four years ago but they pushed ahead with phase three.
All FMT is still not approved and is used currently on a case by case compassionate basis.
Sers-109 approval by the FDA turns poop into medication that will cost $$$$

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”