Mild case seeming to resolve on its own, but docs still suggest antibiotics... Any input/experiences?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
poodidlz
Brand New Poster

Mild case seeming to resolve on its own, but docs still suggest antibiotics... Any input/experiences?

Postby poodidlz » Tue May 25, 2021 2:34 pm

Hi everyone,

I have dug around this website looking for threads that might address this, but still felt compelled to reach out because of all the anxiety I've been having about this... I wound up testing positive for C Diff and toxin (positive for "Interp, NAAT, & Toxin Ag"...?) after stopping a round of Ceftin early due to diarrhea. It's been about 13 days since I stopped the Ceftin, and my symptoms were always quite mild, but have been getting increasingly better on their own.
At first I was having small soft stools 5-6 times a day with mild mucus, and only mild stomach cramping/aches. This shifted to 2-3 /day with no more cramping after a week, and the past couple days I was slightly constipated, but that seemed to ease up, and today my stool has been normal so far *knock-on-wood*. Good energy, appetite, never any fever, etc. I started taking Bio-K as soon as the doctor told me to stop the antibiotic, and took Florastor for a couple days until I realized it might be making me constipated, so am just back to 1 bottle of Bio-K a day first thing in the morning.

I've talked to my PCP and my GI about this, and both were quite firm about the need to take antibiotics anyway, though my GI did say if my stools firmed up it might be okay to go without them. I have struggled with undiagnosed digestion issues for years and am insanely sensitive to medications and antibiotics (allergic to penicillin, developed tinnitus and eye floaters from less than half a round of antibiotic eye drops, experience rare side effects at small doses of several other meds...), so I wound up getting approved for Difficid instead of Vanco, but am still hesitant to take it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Has anyone here recovered from mild cases successfully without antibiotics, or is it still probably best to take them to kill off what is in there? Information I've found has been so mixed, I just don't know what to think. I've reached out to my GI again, but he is slow to respond. I will do whatever I need to do, but would love to avoid the antibiotics if it is safe to do so.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Wishing all of you well.

roy
Administrator

Re: Mild case seeming to resolve on its own, but docs still suggest antibiotics... Any input/experiences?

Postby roy » Tue May 25, 2021 5:37 pm

The first treatment is to stop the offending antibiotic and see if c.diff SYMPTOMS resolve!!!
That works in around 20% of cases.
If it works then going on to take meds might cause more harm than good.
Your Dr should have known that.
When c.diff resolves without resorting to meds it's the best recovery possible.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Mild case seeming to resolve on its own, but docs still suggest antibiotics... Any input/experiences?

Postby beth22 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:12 am

My case resolved on its own the first time and I had no more problems until about a year later when I took antibiotics. The doctors also pushed me to take vanco and I am sorry that I did. I wish I had waited and taken probiotics to see if it would again resolve. I have had nothing but problems ever since and the vanco made everything worse. Dificid was not out yet. If you are getting better, ask the doctor why the need for the antibiotics. Like you, I don't do well with medications.

poodidlz
Brand New Poster

Postby poodidlz » Wed May 26, 2021 1:36 pm

Thank you both very much for your input! I guess I will continue to wait and see... All seems/feels good today, too. Fingers crossed.

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:05 pm

I agree with Roy. I was right where you were when my doctor told me to take a round of Vanco when I tested positive again after a round of flagyl when I first got sick. I ended up having to do an fmt. I am not a doctor but if I could go back I would have held off on the Vanco to give my body a chance to beat it without drugs. I am in the USA and followed the instructions of a General Practitioner before I was able to get in to see a gastroenterologist. My GI who did my fmt said he would have waited to treat and would not have given me Flagyl in the first place. Everyone has a different health history and circumstance but I would suggest asking your doctors more questions or get a second opinion before taking more antibiotics Your description suggests you are recovering.

poodidlz
Brand New Poster

Postby poodidlz » Thu May 27, 2021 2:28 pm

jG43 wrote:
> I agree with Roy. I was right where you were when my doctor told me to take
> a round of Vanco when I tested positive again after a round of flagyl when
> I first got sick. I ended up having to do an fmt. I am not a doctor but if
> I could go back I would have held off on the Vanco to give my body a chance
> to beat it without drugs. I am in the USA and followed the instructions of
> a General Practitioner before I was able to get in to see a
> gastroenterologist. My GI who did my fmt said he would have waited to treat
> and would not have given me Flagyl in the first place. Everyone has a
> different health history and circumstance but I would suggest asking your
> doctors more questions or get a second opinion before taking more
> antibiotics Your description suggests you are recovering.

Thank you for your reply, jG43. I'm sorry you had to go through that... Both of my doctors still use Flagyl as a first-line treatment, too, which made me question their opinions/knowledge. I had to be pretty persistent about the Dificid because it wasn't something they usually prescribed. I'll try to see if I can get another opinion outside of my current hospital system... Making it worse unnecessarily when it could possibly just fade out on its own is my main fear, especially after hearing stories like yours and Beth's and so many others on this forum.

poodidlz
Brand New Poster

Postby poodidlz » Fri May 28, 2021 1:28 pm

Small update for anyone in a similar situation (though of course, you should speak with your own doctor as every body is different). Finally heard back from my GI and he gave me the okay to wait on the treatment. Just ordered a retest in a month. Fingers crossed. Thank you all again for your input!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun May 30, 2021 5:02 am

Suggesting a retest in a month shows your Dr is not experianced and not following the guidlines in c.diff diagnosis or treatment.
If the test is positive but you dont have symptoms theres no disease.
Make sure you get a second opinion from an experianced Dr.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon May 31, 2021 8:43 am

Agree with Roy. Unless your blowing up the restroom and or are sick I’d never retest. My GI and even family doc advised against it. If you had full blown cdiff you’d know it.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:08 pm

It is very clear that you DO NOT retest to prove cure!!!!
Please consider finding a GI who is more familiar with current trends in identifying and treating c diff, as Roy suggested. This is not new information.

Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”