All 3 Antibiotics Toxic, what's next?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
JTurner
Brand New Poster

All 3 Antibiotics Toxic, what's next?

Postby JTurner » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:28 pm

I am 35 and was diagnosed with CDIFF 3 weeks ago (after 4 different antiobiotics between Jan-Mar) and a week ago was put on Flagyl which led to peripheral neuropathy so I was switched to Vanco which caused issues with my right ear (pain, ringing, partial hearing loss/muffled). I switched to an ID doctor and she was not comfortable with the ear/hearing symptoms so switched me to Dificid, which is not supposed to cause ototoxicity but has actually made my ear symptoms worse. Did anyone else have this happen? My doctor isn't sure what to do now and she's never encountered this side effect with Dificin. My CDiff was relatively mild and has improved in the last 7 days of various antibiotics. She still thinks I should consider stopping the medication and watching how things go since my symptoms have improved. Thoughts?

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: All 3 Antibiotics Toxic, what's next?

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:53 pm

JTurnet,

I am so sorry to hear that. That is unfortunate. I hope you are talking Floraster. Can you get an FTM?

I also took all 3 antibiotics, Flagyl, Vacno and Difcidi. I was to able to finish the dose but I relapsed few weeks after completing the treatment every time. I end up getting an FMT 9 moths ago, I was some what fine until yesterday when I started having some symptoms again, will get tested if symptoms to clear up by tomorrow
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:10 pm

J Turner, nothing about c diff surprises me. I would follow your doc’s advice plus your own gut feeling. It sounds as tho u have made some progress.

Welcome to the site. Read the first forum for the history of the site and its rules of posting.

Keep posting,

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:22 pm

JTurner, I have no familiarity with those kinds of complications with all meds. Usually an ID dr has a lot of knowledge. I would follow his recommendations and see how you do and if you have an exacerbation of symptoms you can consider getting a second opinion for some additional input in case there are other ideas before I rushed into a FMT.

Good luck.
Rita

JTurner
Brand New Poster

Postby JTurner » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:30 pm

Thanks all. I’m still on the Deficid and just watching the ear symptoms. Right now it’s mainly pressure and a feeling of fullness in my ears. Hoping to see an ENT early next week to check things out. If things get worse I’ll discontinue the meds. My ID did suggest that the combined treatments of Flagyl, Vanco and now Dificid are all working to kill the bacteria so fingers crossed even if I don’t get a full 10 days on deficid that it will still so the trick. My cdiff symptoms are mostly gone other than still a weird texture to my BMs and still some rumbling stomach in the morning. Time will tell. Thanks again.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:57 pm

My hearing was affected with vanco too. I have not heard of it with Dificid, but I never took it myself.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”