Colors of Stool post 5 months of CDiff Recovery

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
healthys
Contributor

Colors of Stool post 5 months of CDiff Recovery

Postby healthys » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 pm

Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone has been doing well. I am doing better and putting more and more good days into the recovery.

It has been over 5 months since C.Diff & last dose of vancomycin for it. My stools for most part are formed. I get 2-3 BMs in a day with the 2nd & 3rd stools mostly semi formed to very loose. I try not to worry about the loose stools although I deeply wish I would just get back to formed stools after 5 months or so!

I am taking iron supplements so I get green/dark green stools mostly. If I forget to take iron then I get light brown to yellow to orange-reddish or even almost pale color stools. These colors worry me.

I don't get dark brown or chest nut brown that I used to have prior to surgery.

Could anyone can share their experiences or advice with colors in their stool. Appreciate the support and responses. Thank you!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Colors of Stool post 5 months of CDiff Recovery

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:18 pm

The colors depend on what you eat and also transit time. If you have a faster transit time, I was told by my GI that the color is lighter. If you eat green leafy vegetables, red meat, for example, the color should be a little darker.

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:13 pm

Thank you Beth, I do seem to have faster transit time. Could you recommend anything to slow that down or would you say it is harmless?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:15 am

I took Pepto Bismol for a while and it helped me, but I would ask your doctor. Some people have taken cholestyramine (Questran) that binds up toxins and takes them out. You need a Rx for it though. It is a powder that you mix with water or juice. You can ask your doctor about it. It works well for people who have looser stools as it tends to give firmer consistency.

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:06 am

Thank you Beth!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”