Immediate relapse or recurrence after vanco?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
NancyD
Brand New Poster

Immediate relapse or recurrence after vanco?

Postby NancyD » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi all - I'm so anxious having just completed a 10 day course of vanco for C diff. My symptoms improved by day 5 on treatment and I was starting to have small formed stools. 2 days after finishing I developed 2 episodes of watery diarrhea. The next day I didn't have diarrhea and today I had another 2 episodes of watery diarrhea and no formed stools. Is it possible the C diff wasn't fully treated or is back so soon? I'm really hoping it's someone else. I spoke with my ID doc who recommended a vanco 5 week pulse/taper if I continue to have diarrhea but I'm really hoping it's not persistent C. Diff. Has anyone been through anything like this or had their symptoms recur almost immediately after stopping treatment then having to back on antibiotics right away?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Immediate relapse or recurrence after vanco?

Postby NanciT » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:15 pm

Hello NancyD and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Once you have finished treatment( in your case Vanco) it is a wait and see. Some do great, others have D again that continues and as your ID mentioned more treatment is needed. I personally needed more treatment when I first had CIDFF in 2014/2015.

It is not unusual, stick to a bland diet and if D continues follow your ID's instruction if D continues. I did do a long pulse/taper of Vanco after the initial 10 days.
You may ask your ID about Dificid instead

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”