Loperamide after one Vancomycin treatment

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ClaudiaS
Brand New Poster

Loperamide after one Vancomycin treatment

Postby ClaudiaS » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:03 pm

Hi
I’m new here. 58yr female.
My gastro just put me on anti-diarrhea loperamide and citrucel and I’m wondering if anyone else has had this treatment to end the diarrhea?
I got c dif in dec 2020 from clindamycin. Was given one vancomycin treatment but still continued to have at least one diarrhea stool per day. In March 2021, primary dr sent me to gastro. Gastro dr did a stool re-test and it was negative. He said after having c dif most people will have diarrhea still. He prescribed loperamide and citrucel once in the morning and told me if I needed to take more that it was safe and ok to take. I’m still crampy and bloated with one normal and one loose stool per day. Anyone else been put on this treatment?

Thanks

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Loperamide after one Vancomycin treatment

Postby georgina » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:07 am

It's not a good ideea to follow up a Cdiff treatment with meds such as Loperamide . Recovering form Cdiff is long and hard and usually requires some meds to help with the remaining issues : antispasmodics to help with gut pain and spasm , something to bulk up the stools like Questran or sometimes Pepto Bismol, a probiotic ,a easy to digest diet, but NEVER something that slows the gut down like Loperamide does. Better try some Pepto , is a lot safer the Loperamide.

ClaudiaS
Brand New Poster

Postby ClaudiaS » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:19 am

Georgina, thank you so much for the advice! So much to learn about c dif and the way forward.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:24 pm

I also have some lingering issues after C Diff but the dr didn't give me anything for it, he thinks it is PI-IBS
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:35 pm

My dr has let me use loperamide for d/PI IBS after c diff but not until a significant amount of time had passed- not the first several months after treatment. At that time he prescribed some of the meds Georgina mentioned, questran, Enteragam, then xifaxan, and several other medications if necessary.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:38 pm

Btw Claudia, welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting for new members.
There is also a lot of good information on this site that you will find useful.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”