Tinnitus after C diff - does it ever improve?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
NS789
Regular Contributor

Tinnitus after C diff - does it ever improve?

Postby NS789 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:07 pm

Hi everyone. For those of you who developed new or worsening tinnitus (ringing ears) after treatment for C diff, did it improve over a period of time?

I have always had mild tinnitus but since the immense amount of antibiotics I took in 2020, it has definitely increased in severity. Of course I can't say for sure that it's related to the C diff antibiotics but the timing is suspicious. I know that Vanco can cause tinnitus and I took a couple of long rounds of that.

Anyway, I'm going to get it checked out but I was just wondering what everyone's experiences have been. Does it get better or does it generally stay the same?

Thanks!
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tinnitus after C diff - does it ever improve?

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:57 am

My hearing was affected by the many rounds of vanco that I took. I always had some tinnitus too and now apparently have otosclerosis that is unrelated to the c diff. But, with me it never really improved that much. I would check with an ear doctor. Oral vanco is not supposed to affect hearing, but in my case it did.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”