Constipated stool quality

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
twoscoop
New User

Constipated stool quality

Postby twoscoop » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi guys. I had cdiff back in August of 2020 and treated with flagyl but came back around in November. I tested positive for toxins in late January and treated it with dificid. My stools are completely formed now but they are all rock solid balls. They come out in nuggets and balls and a lot of them. I go regularly and these are making me bleed. I have seen a proctoglist and no matter what I do, I can't seem to soften them up. I have tried fiber, stool softner, drinking a lot of water, eating high fiber, added psyllium husk. Can anyone explain what is going on with me? It sounds like my colon is really slow that it's drying everything up even with all the added water and fiber. I just don't know what to do or how to resolve this issue. I'm only complaining because they are affecting my internal hems but if I can't resolve it, I might have to get them banded. I hope not. Has anyone experienced this type of stool after cdiff? Anything else I can try? Thank you for reading.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: Constipated stool quality

Postby NS789 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:50 pm

Are you taking probiotics? Sometimes they can cause constipation so you might need to cut back on those. I know I had to eventually stop taking Florastor for that reason.

Also, have you had any blood tests lately? Chronic constipation like that could be caused by something completely unrelated to C diff, like hypothyroidism for example.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

twoscoop
New User

Postby twoscoop » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:22 pm

I am taking probiotics. I take 2 florastors and 1 vsl3. Yes I recently had a blood test and everything checked out fine. I've always been taking 2 florastors and had no issues. I was still having hard stools before I started vsl3 too. So I don't think it is the probiotics, but I can always cut down and see if it helps. The first infection I treated it with flagyl and I didn't have this hard stool issue. My second infection was treated with dificid. Wondering if dificid caused this? I know it's really hard to pinpoint. I think I have ibs-c. Just two weeks ago I was having loose stools, then I was back to hard stool. Back and forth. Or sometimes it's a mixture of both in one sitting. Just the past 11 days has been consistently hard.

When did you realize you were becoming constipated from the florastor?
Last edited by twoscoop on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Two scoop,
Ask your doc about Benefiber.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:49 pm

I would be curious to see if reducing the Florastor would make a difference.

I did well with Florastor throughout my C diff saga but about two months after my final round of treatment, I noticed I was becoming quite constipated. It wasn't until I quit the Florastor that things normalized a bit.

No guarantees but worth a try.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

twoscoop
New User

Postby twoscoop » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:02 pm

I've been taking florastor since January...I guess it could be an indicator that now things are finally normalizing after my treatment that it's becoming too much? I'll try reducing it to 1 and see if it makes a change. Thank you

twoscoop
New User

Postby twoscoop » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 pm

Bobbie,
I will check out benefiber too. I tried metamucil in the past but I'll bring it to my GI's attention next time we meet. Thanks!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”