3 years out, a c.diff recurrence?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Believe
Regular User

3 years out, a c.diff recurrence?

Postby Believe » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:55 am

Hi my friends! After 3 years, it’s too far out to have a relapse, but I may be having a recurrence? Today, on a 10 AM phone appt with my PCP, I’m going to insist on getting tested. Something is wrong. I’m edging downhill. I have had no antibiotics since treating c.diff, three years ago.

Questions: do C.diff and SIBO have similar symptoms? Might it sound more like SIBO?

History: In February, I foolishly indulged a craving for hot spice. (I should know better.) I ate one slice of gluten-free pizza (normally, no prob), but topped with a pile of hot, crushed red pepper. Hello. Enough pepper flakes to spill off the edges of the pizza. You know how you can look out the window in the fall, and see loads of leaves waiting to be raked? Yeah. Like that.

Of course, I paid for it the next day with one bout of loose BM, which firmed right up to follow. But I haven’t been able to regain my footing, since.

Gradually, I developed horrible bloating, rumbling, and hard-stuck gas that would go nowhere, mostly up higher in GI tract. BMs stayed normal, so I wasn’t overly worried. I figured it was just IBS, and I’d gradually get back to normal. But no.

Getting desperate, I started taking an enteric peppermint oil gel, 15 mins prior to meals, 3x day. I started sipping chicken bone broth throughout the day. These things did help reduce bloating — a lot. And forgive me, but I could finally ‘toot’!

However, I started getting probs in the bathroom. BMs growing softer, falling apart at the end. I thought it must be too much peppermint and bone broth, “relaxing” me? So, I stopped both. Bloating and gas remain a little better — but sadly, I’ve had 5 loose BMs over the past week. I’ve even started belching a lot over the past week (rarely happens).

My diet is now down to only 1/2 cup GF oatmeal, a bowl of homemade soft chicken and vegs soup, a dozen GF crackers, some rice noodles, and half a banana. Pretty much BRAT diet. I’m eating less and less. I’ve not had dinner in nearly a week, to avoid overtaxing my system, or potentially wake up at night with loose BMs.

I’ve barely been anywhere outside the house in recent months, and always well-masked. I wash my hands meticulously. I cannot codify how I could possibly have picked up a different strain of c.diff?

My 13-year-old son is a bit of germaphobe, like his mother, I’m sorry to say! He has had D a few times over the past week, silently rattling my nerves, but — he had WAY too much cheese last week, and admitted that he polished off an entire (smallish) pizza by himself! He is totally remote learning and healthy, but definitely has dairy issues (again, like his mother). He’s better now, but still, it’s unnerving to think I may have infected him. We are very tidy, wash our hands a lot, and I clean the bathroom often, so I know it’s very unlikely. I started using the remote bathroom, until I’m fixed. I don’t want to TMI tell him what’s going on with me, because it’s not necessary. He will only get spooked.

My original c.diff infection was environmental in origin. The only logical explanation is due to having spent long hours visiting a nursing home, to be with my stepdad, who was passing away. There had been no prior antibiotic use to cause it. In 2018, I took one round flagyl and one round 10-day Vanco, and then endured IBS for many months to follow. I had had undiagnosed c.diff for 7 weeks at that time, because symptoms were just not “bad” enough to prompt me to call the doctor. I never had repeat bouts of watery D, that had only happened a few times. It was mainly loose BMs, on and off.

Update: Just spoke with her, my PCP! She doubts c.diff, but she said something sounds definitely off with my digestion. She’s talking a pancreatic assay test, besides the full GI panel, plus a few labs.

Thank you for any pearls. And for listening. Peace and health to all!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: 3 years out, a c.diff recurrence?

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:57 pm

Good you are having some tests. SIBO does have some overlapping symptoms with c diff, but you would need a breath test to see if you have that. See what your tests show. I did get some pancreatic issues after c diff, but it is a long time after already. Let us know how you do. Hope the doctor can figure out the cause.

DCboiler
New User

Postby DCboiler » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:44 am

Sibo test sounds like a good idea.
I had a lot of your same symptoms and was diagnosed with a blasto hominis infection (suspected I had SIBO as well but never tested).

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:06 pm

Believe,
Another vote for “probably not” due to time lapse and lack of causers. I know where you are coming from as had C diff 3 times but broad spectrum antibiotics were involved,

Try to chill but do call your doc if symptoms persist. I would eat more normally but avoid dairy and spices.

Best of luck, keep posting,

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”