Cdiff infection showing as soon as 3 days?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Zapper
Regular Contributor

Cdiff infection showing as soon as 3 days?

Postby Zapper » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi all

It’s been 4 years since my last cdiff infection. I had IV penicillin for only 1 hour for my labor and delivery on 3/15. I had a fecal impaction after delivery and was treated via impaction removal and followed by golytley. I unfortunately continue to have diarrhea 2 days post taking the golytley prep after I eat or drink anything. Most of it is mucus (which was my classic cdiff symptom- not the diarrhea but mucus only bms).
I’m curious if it’s possible that I am already having my cdiff infection showing after only 3 days.
I’m really hoping not but every hour I start to feel more and more tired/ill not being able to keep food in my system long.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cdiff infection showing as soon as 3 days?

Postby NanciT » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:33 pm

If the D continues, ask for a test. I was given IV antibiotics and had severe D 48hrs later wen I got home from the hospital. I had CDIFF 5 years ago but the D was severe after the IV antibiotics.

I hope things improve quickly for you

NanciT

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Nancy,
What anabiotic did they give you and were you able to treat it without having an FMT?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:17 pm

I do know it was not Cipro but can't remember. It was during very bad Covid at the hospitals, I was waiting in pain for a long time. They quickly told me I was septic and had to be admitted. I was alone...it was terrible.
They did give me Vanco but that made no difference. It was 48hrs later it hit me very quickly. I went to another ER and was tested quickly and diagnosed. My ID put me on a Dificid taper which has worked for me, and it worked thankfully

I hope you are doing better

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:35 pm

Zappee,
Penicillin itself is not a big offender, and IV antibiotics are less likely to be implicated in C diff. I doubt u have c diff, so relax and enjoy your baby. Boy or girl? Name?

If problems continue, contact your doc. Keep posting,

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:10 pm

This is my 2nd boy. Named him Joseph Alexander. Delivered him in 2 hours from beginning contractions. He’s been an angel sleeps and eats well. I really couldn’t ask for a better baby as I haven’t been feeling well.

I was able to tolerate some food this afternoon and it did help my mental state. I’m praying all the time you are right and it’s just normal antibiotic diarrhea and not cdiff itself it’s just hard not to worry. My first abx since my cdiff in 2015. I keep having mucus only bms but now that I’m eating food we will see. Also taking my probiotics as usual.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:19 pm

Zapper,
From one worrier to another. Distract your mind from worrying. Difficult to do.You and your boys will be fine. Continue to eat lightly, keep posting.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:22 pm

I agree. I know I shouldn’t fall down the rabbit hole but it’s hard not to when running to the bathroom and having almost accidents. It’s been 4 days of very little food and I’m getting very weak and dizzy. Hard to take care of the kids etc.
I called by OB today requesting a rush test if possible to avoid urgent care (covid times and a newborn don’t mix).
It def doesn’t help with the postpartum hormones too and feeling helpless.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:25 pm

Ultimately, you are the only person who can help you. CALM! Know this is a difficult time for you. Is there someone who can help with the kids? Relative? Friend? Can your husband take paternity leave?

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:59 pm

My husband was able to take a week off but does not get any PTO at his job. Basically self employed as an electrician. We need him to work for income. No family close enough to help. I’m on my own except for the fact that I can drop off my older one at daycare which helps.
Still waiting for my OB to call back....

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:08 pm

Ok I got a response finally and submit my stool sample today.
Oddly enough, I’m feeling a little better today I think. Still no fever but still having no appetite, nausea, slight abd pain, mucus only bms, less urgency however.
My hubby said he doesn’t think it’s cdiff anymore cause he remembers how sick I was previously and to stop obsessing. I’m trying my best. 1-2 business days for a result. Fingers crossed.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:45 am

Let us know the results, and for now, just try to relax and eat bland food like rice, chicken, etc.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:44 am

IMPORTANT
Remember that even if the test is positive you do not need treating if the symptoms resolve.
1st "treatment" is to stop the offending antibiotic.
Do not treat the test, treat the symptoms.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:55 pm

You are so right Roy. I’m praying it continues to get better. So far today, no urgency was able to keep breakfast down and only 1 bm that was questionable but not mucus only.
I have continued to double up on the probiotics and praying they are taking over.
I keep checking for results but nothing yet.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:40 pm

I would not be surprised if its positive.
Antibiotics+maternity ward is probably the number 1 place to pick up c.diff.
BUT the majority dont get sick or recover after a few days and dont even know they had it.
Sounds like your doing good so if it's not broke dont mend it.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”