Pancreatitis and C Diff???

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
xHeather
Brand New Poster

Pancreatitis and C Diff???

Postby xHeather » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:39 pm

When I was 20, I was diagnosed with C. Diff (April 20,2020) and was put on Vancomycin 125mg 4x daily for 10 days. On July 4 of 2020, I again tested positive for Clostridium Difficile Coloitis Infection this time I was placed on Vancomycin 250mg 4x daily for the first 10 days, then drop to 125mg for 7 days, then 2 capsules every day for 1 week and then to finish 2 capsules a week until they were finished. During this whole time I was experiencing HORRIBLE burning, churning, gnawing, almost like a cold hunger pain between my breast bone and my naval, even when I did not have an active infection. My weight dropped rapidly, I lost 25 lbs in less than a week and I felt like I was dying. In a CT scan, doctors noticed that my liver measured 19cm!! The average 20 year old female should only have a liver measuring 7cm! My liver was nearly TRIPLE the size it should be, going all the way to my pelvis. They said that this was not an issue however but I requested a limited ultrasound anyways. I was surprised when the doctors said they had spotted gallstones and that with my symptoms and everything that they were going to take out my gallbladder, which they did in October of 2020. Shortly after I was diagnosed a third time with the Diff. This time they put me on Vancocin 125mg 1 cap twice daily for 1 week, then 1 cap every 3 days for 6 weeks and my gastroenterologist recommended that I have a FMT (fecal microbiotia transplant) done. I previously had a EGD and flexible sigmoidoscopy done to check for signs of UC and Crohns, the only remarkable thing was red mucosa in the greater curvature of my gastric body. They biopsied a piece of my stomach and duodenum for Celiac Disease, but the result was negative. Present day, I have not had a third recurrence but still continue to have the burning sensation in my abdomen and random symptoms like lower back pain, stomach pain (more in the upper left and middle of my abdomen), diarrhea, lack of appetite, malaise, weight loss, excessive gas, belching, and other things. We will see how things go after the FMT is done but with COVID I may have to either wait or travel out of state. I am trying to figure out why I still have these symptoms even after a cholecystectomy. Perhaps it’s my pancreas that is the cause of the trouble? Does anyone know if there is a correlation between Clostridium Difficile Colitis, Gallstones, and Pancreatitis?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Pancreatitis and C Diff???

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:33 am

There is not correlation between Cdiff and gallstones . Gallstaones surely were forming before Cdiff started . There are correlations between gallstones and pancreatitis , but it would have flared up before the colecystectomy. Is unfortunate that you have to battle two illneses at the same time and both Cdiff and the lack of gallblader can give you upsetting IBS issues . There are , however some remedies that can work for both : something like Questran , a binding agent that can also absorb some of the bile acids in the gut and also bind to the toxins that may/or may not remain inside the intestines , may worth a try.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:03 pm

You have had some very strange treatment regimes for c.diff.
Little of what you describe is within any of the guidlines.
Also someone has given you misinformation about your liver size and not explained what measurements their findings relate to.
If your c.diff has resolved and theres no third recurrence of copious watery diarrhea 3x or more a day having an FMT is probably NOT a good idea!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:16 pm

If you have not had another occurrence of c diff what are you having a FMT for...???
I would get another opinion from a c diff expert from a GI in a different practice and have my entire c diff history and treatment regime reviewed before doing anything else if I were you.

Rita

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:17 pm

Welcome to the site. Sorry you are having so many issues.
Please read and review the first forum on rules for posting for new members.
I hope we can be so help to you.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”