GERD

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Alisha
New User

GERD

Postby Alisha » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Hey everyone !

So ive been really struggling with GERD lately, struggling would probably be an understatement. I took gaviscon 1 time and i think it might have helped a little but i got a bout of diarrhea 2-3 days after and got nervous! I’ve been known in the past to take lansoprazole (before cdiff) and zatac (before cdiff and obviously discontinued) my new family docotor has perscribed me PANTROPAZOLE (she never remembers ive had cdiff) i asked her of that can cause cdiff or if it could be a contributing factor she told me no. Now my research tells me otherwise.. am i right?

Does anyone take meds for GERD or OTC help for GERD? Open to natural also! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Alisha. 33yr old. Cdiff free since April 15 2019.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Re: GERD

Postby BetsyS » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:42 am

I've been dealing with GERD literally for decades. I was on a double dose of Prilosec when I caught CDiff. My ID wanted me completely off of it. I managed to get down to one daily dose by supplementing with Gaviscon and not drinking coffee. Gaviscon is the only otc which provides me with immediate relief. I discussed alternatives with my GI, who is very familiar with CDiff. Each person is different. In my case he wants me to stay on the Prilosec. I've had ulcers and damage to my esophagus from GERD in the past, and he thinks the the risk of further damage is more of a concern than getting CDiff again.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:32 pm

I have GERD and have been on PPIs for many years. They are implicated in putting you at higher risk for c diff but you have to weigh the risk of damage from the reflux acid and ability to control it with alternatives and the c diff risk. I have not been able to control the reflux any other way thus far and am not willing to risk the damage. I will try to come off them again in consultation with my GI and I urge you to keep having those conversations with yours.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Rita

Avalon18
Regular User

Postby Avalon18 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 pm

I have GERD, and have been taking pantoprazole, a PPI, for nearly 20 years. The acid and the damage it causes is too much of a problem to stop medications for GERD, even though it is a likely contributor to my recent case of c. diff. I was taking a double dose of pantoprazole for a few months, and that probably precipitated my c. diff, as I hadn’t had any antibiotics for several months before my c. diff was diagnosed.

My gastroenterologist did not want to discontinue the pantoprazole, so I took it right through my c. diff treatments. I have been thinking of alternatives, but H2 blockers, such as famotidine and ranitidine, are also linked to c. diff. A number of years ago, one of my physicians advised one dose of pantoprazole and famotidine if I needed more relief. Some researchers believe that combination can also be linked to c. diff.

So, I am continuing to use pantoprazole, but never more than one a day. Recently, I have had major GERD attacks in the wee hours of the morning, and I will be taking my daily dose of pantoprazole before dinner instead of breakfast to better time my acid protection.

It is a dilemma not easily solved.

Alisha
New User

Postby Alisha » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:41 pm

Thank you so much for all your messages!! Still struggling with it, i’ve booked an appointment with my GI to also check my acid levels because i think knowing if i have low acid or high acid would help it deciding the best treatment. I’ve got a perscription for the lanzo today so im going to take it and jusy try and eat the best gut foods. I totally agree, the damage from gerds can be very bad and needs to be controlled! (cdiff really made me sick so fingers crossed!!!)

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:25 am

If it’s any help, the PPIs,while they do put you at higher risk because of the acid reduction it is not an absolute cause...
I have continued taking them for 8 years since I had c diff and have not had a recurrence.
I will continue to try to discontinue them but if need be will take them rather than risk serious damage.

Alisha
New User

Postby Alisha » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:31 am

@ rii

That does help! Puts my mind a little at ease about taking the medication! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:39 pm

I take 40mg of Pepcid morning and night because mine is so bad. I was on Omeprazole when I got Cdiff amd stopped it immediately after learning that PPIs can contribute to Cdiff. My Gastro said that Pepcid would not affect my Cdiff and whether it will return.

tomb523
New User

Postby tomb523 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:42 am

I have this as well and it was the initial cause of my c.diff issue through overuse of Prilosec type drugs. I am overweight so that is not helping, but since I learned what caused my c.diff, I don't use any acid reducing drugs. When it hits me, I try to stay upright and move around, drink lots of water and if it continues or it's bedtime, I drink a little water with baking soda which neutralizes the acid for a bit (think vinegar and soda volcano). You burp a bit, but it calms the reflux

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”