UTI, antibiotics, 1.5 years out

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
KFM
New User

UTI, antibiotics, 1.5 years out

Postby KFM » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:52 pm

Hi there,

I was cleared from c diff about 1.5 years ago. My gut did eventually return to normal.

However, since then, I've had recurring UTIs , which I've been unable to prevent/treat with herbs, so I've had to take antibiotics each time, and gotten stomach upset/diarrhea each time. So far, I haven't had a recurrence of cdiff but I'm concerned this time b/c the diarrhea hasn't resolved, and I've been off it for 4 days. Here are my questions:

1) Has anyone else (particularly women) noticed a new pattern of UTIs after going through Cdiff? Do you know what this is about?

2) My PCR test came out negative a year a half ago. But I'm wondering if I'm still more vulnerable to c diff than a normal person, when on antibiotics. Can it recur even years out? I took Macrobid this time, which is NOT a primary contender for cdiff, but of course any antibiotic can cause it. My doctor doesn't want to gauge the likelihood of it coming back (he keeps telling me not to worry about it), but I'm wondering what folks in this group have seen, anecdotally.

Appreciate any thoughts.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: UTI, antibiotics, 1.5 years out

Postby NanciT » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:32 pm

Hi

We have had alot of posters wiho have bladder issues post CDIFF especially if they took Vanco. Vanco irritates the bladder. I ended up seeing a Urologist Post CDIFF due to this. He carefully watched when I had UTI symptoms and always took a culture to make sure I had an active infection and which antibiotic would treat it. That's really important for anyone with CDIFF in the past.

Macrobid is safer to take but antibiotics can cause CDIFF. I got away with treating with antibiotics twice post CDIFF. It had been nearly 5 years and then I did get CDIFF again. I would be cautious and maybe see a urologist who could help.

I also started taking D mannose which really helped

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

KFM
New User

Re: UTI, antibiotics, 1.5 years out

Postby KFM » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:55 pm

Thanks, Nanci. Oof, I’m sorry you had a recurrence. I have definitely done antibiotics as a last resort each time. It’s only happening after sex :(. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been E. coli bacteria which is the only one D Mannose works for, so I’m trying to explore other options.

Appreciate your reply. Hoping I’m not getting Cdiff again - have an appt with my doctor for early next week.

I’ll keep you posted.

Karen

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”