Hospital visits risk

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Hospital visits risk

Postby hledgess » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 pm

Ok so I know if you’re the one in the hospital it’s hard to be careful and it’s a risk factor, but what about visiting a loved one? My bf has necrotic pancreatitis and is on abx and will be in there as long as it takes for him to get better. I want to visit him, but am terrified of being in the hospital for fear of getting c diff since I’ve had it 3 times , two of which I had no abx or any other medicine that could cause it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Hospital visits risk

Postby beth22 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:07 am

I don't know where you live, but I would be more worried about Covid at this point. If you are in an area that is not hard hit, then you can wear gloves and change your clothes when you get home. Keep your hands away from your mouth. We are supposed to do that anyway with Covid precautions. If you are very nervous, then maybe just do video calls.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:45 pm

You wear gloves Bc of c diff or Covid? I’ve never heard of gloves for those it seems like you would accidentally cross contaminate very easily. Where I live we are all the way open. It’s not a concern to anyone here.. or most anyway. Im just worried about c diff risk but want to visit my sick bf. How clean are hospitals really for just visiting. I don’t want to risk it if there’s a risk in being there. I most definitely will not use the bathroom or eat lol just wasn’t sure if I was missing anything

Alisha
New User

Postby Alisha » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:58 pm

I totally can relate! I went to the hospital for something completely unrelated to cdiff and 8 days later ended up with cdiff without taking antibiotics so im positive i got it from thr hospital(took a month to diagnose since i didnt take antibiotics + losing 50 pounds in a month) rough!!! I do visit thr hospital frequently due to other inflammatory issues and im VERRY careful! I usually carry hand sanitizer was for cdiff now for covid too lollll i do not eat or drink anything. I wear glasses off and on but i will wear them to the hospital so im not easily touching my eyes (paranoid maybe? Lol) and i stay away from the washroom unless necessary and i will have tissues ready so i dont touch door handles or sink taps. Annoying AF . Just be super mindful, i think you’ll be okay :)
Alisha. 33yr old. Cdiff free since April 15 2019.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:42 pm

Hand sanitizer is completely ineffective for c difficile. It would help for Covid, but you need soap and water to get rid of the c difficile, or bleach on surfaces. When a person has c difficile in the hospital, visitors have to wear a gown and gloves when entering the room to see the patient. So, gloves would prevent it from getting on your hands, but after taking them off, you should still wash your hands thoroughly. Keep the hands (gloved or not) away from your mouth and face.

I used to visit my mom at the hospital after I had c diff and I never caught it there. I must say that it made me very nervous too though. This was before Covid. Now I would not go to a hospital because of it and hospitals where I live only allow one visitor. The hospitals here are full of Covid patients. But, if where you live, there are not many, then it's up to you. Ask your doctor what he or she would suggest. The doctor knows your personal health history and can guide you.

Alisha
New User

Postby Alisha » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:22 am

Hey beth22 i guess it depends on where your from. When i had cdiff i was in waiting rooms with other people in the hospital, i shared same medical areas with them. Nurses did not greet me or take care of me in gowns. i shared the same bathroom with them also. Totally unacceptable trust me i know! Im from Toronto, Canada & alot of our cases are in elderly care homes not in thr general public so i guess thats why but not everywhere is like that. As for sanitizer i was implying so she doesnt catch anything else that would unfortunately require her to take meds due to bacteria from a hospital. Love reading how cdiff is handled globally, wish our hospitals treated it a little more seriously
Alisha. 33yr old. Cdiff free since April 15 2019.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:05 am

I actually caught mine at the skilled nursing facility where my mother was after her surgery at the hospital. She was okay at the hospital and so was I, but a few months after being in the facility, she came down with c diff and the facility was very lax and did not explain to visitors about c diff. In fact, half the floor had it. Later on, I had to take antibiotics and that is when I got it. But, I know I was infected there. She did however, recover, go home for a few years (with a couple of hospital stays after) and then transferred permanently to another facility where she lived until age 98. I visited her a lot there and never got a relapse and neither did she.

I think it is definitely possible to catch c diff in a hospital setting, especially in ER because you have to use the bathroom there that every other sick person uses. But, again, careful hand washing and keeping your hands away from your face is key. I would also not eat at the cafeteria when I visited.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”