Question about bleeding and Florastor

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
healthys
Contributor

Question about bleeding and Florastor

Postby healthys » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:53 pm

Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well. A quick update- I am 14 weeks past last Vanco. My BMs have been all over the place with shape, color, texture and numbers on the bristol chart.

I sometimes get greenish-blackish stools as I am taking iron supplements. Only, that today I did notice the end of my BM, some redness on the final pieces of my BM. I am not sure why that is the case! I have been having some itching in the rectal area and I use bidet mostly. I am guessing it is case of haemoroids or fissures. I do go to the bathroom 2-3 times a day and my BMs aren't hard and they have been easy to pass so not sure why this is happening.

I currently take 1 florastor every night. Should I be continuing that seeing that I saw bleeding? Please advise. Any insights are greatly welcome!!

I am really hoping it is just haemorroids and I will connect with my PCP to check on this.

Thank you so much

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question about bleeding and Florastor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:49 pm

I know that there is a warning that if you have intestinal bleeding to not use Florastor, but I don't know if that includes rectal bleeding. If you have it in the small intestine or colon I think you are not supposed to use it. That is really a question for your doctor though and I think you should definitely call and ask before you continue taking it.

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:28 am

Thank you Beth! I went this morning and haven't seen anything. One thing I missed mentioning was, I had some beets to eat for lunch yesterday around 12.30 PM and I had a BM around 4.30 PM which is what had that color and then another one at 7.30 PM which turned the toilet water reddish-magenta. And I obviously freaked out. I am going to monitor it some more today and see.

I just was not sure if beets would color the stools so fast within 4 hours of eating them. Can anyone share their thoughts or experiences with this?

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:51 pm

I would totally blame the beets! :)

It's amazing how fast foods/medications can impact your stool. I remember taking Pepto Bismol for the first time and having black stool shortly after. I freaked out until I did some research and realized that was the cause lol

If you've only seen red in the toilet bowl once, I would assume it was the beets or maybe hemmorhoids. But obviously if it starts happening more frequently (without eating beets), then it should be investigated.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:08 pm

That has happened to me with beets before too and it turned my urine reddish too. I also freaked out until I read that it can do that.

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:19 pm

Thank you both for replying! I have been checking stools today and so far so good. I am cautiously ready to blame beets. Will keep a watch for few more days. I agree that how quickly food gets digested or undigested and passes through the system!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”