How fast do symptoms resolve?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Pacedown
Brand New Poster

How fast do symptoms resolve?

Postby Pacedown » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:44 am

Dear friends,

I relapsed after a dose of Flagyl.. I apparently didn’t take the necessary dose first time and the symptoms came back stronger.. I don’t have diarrhea (I take some probiotics inc. S Boulardii) but I have cramps on and off. Sometimes mild, a bit more severe at times, leaving me exhausted..

I’m consulting another doctor, since the first dose (500mg a day) didnt seem to be the right treatment. now I’m back on Flagyl (500mg, 3 times a day). Day 3 finished, still no diarrhea but cramps are still there...

should I be worried or do symptoms resolve relatively slowly like this?? Should I consider switching to Vanco or be patient with Flagyl to start working..?

Thank you!
I’m new to this group, typing in panic and slight disappointment. If anything in this post dont meet requirements pls let me know.

Eric.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: How fast do symptoms resolve?

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:05 am

Hi Pacedown and welcome to the group. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

Flagyl is not usually given for c difficile anymore. Generally vanco or Dificid is the drug that is used. I would not take Flagyl again and ask your doctor for one of the other medications. Did you retest for c difficile or did the doctor give you the second round of Flagyl based only on symptoms. Other conditions, including IBS can cause cramping, especially if you don't have D along with them. You don't mention if the second opinion is with a GI. I would definitely consult with one.

Pacedown
Brand New Poster

Postby Pacedown » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:09 am

Hi Beth,

Thank you very much for getting back.

I switched doctors so the 2nd found the initial dose not effective enough so he picked Flagyl one more time and left Vanco as a last resort..

The timeline is ; Day after initial treatment I had cramps and watery stools. Then I tried to keep symptoms under control by natural remedies like curcimin supplements and kefir and probiotics. I was %100 symptom free. 1.5 weeks later cramps came back. No watery stools or D..

So I assume I may have to consider Vanco to get a more effective treatment. Have read that Vanco have higher cure ratings compared to Flagyl.. or better yet have another test maybe C Diff is ruled out and it may be IBS as you say.. don’t know which one is better hah..

Once again thank you for your response. If you have any recommendations or comments pls help

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:49 am

Are you seeing a GI? Or an ID dr? I am surprised that even a 2nd dr would order Flagyl. Although it sometimes works as Beth said it is no longer indicated for use for c diff. I know Beth asked the same thing but I absolutely agree.I would definitely change drs and ask for Vanco or difficid if you have symptoms of c diff ie 3 or more watery stools for 3 days. What you describe doesn’t sound like c diff although we cannot diagnose, only advise based on our experiences.
A repeat test is usually not done to determine relapse. Diagnosis is done based on symptoms. I strongly advise you to consult a GI knowledgeable in c diff and describe what has been going on. They can determine whether you have relapsed, have PI IBS and/or need meds and what meds are appropriate.

Good luck.
Rita

Pacedown
Brand New Poster

Postby Pacedown » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:07 am

Hi, thank you for your response Ril!

Well, it all started while I was taking Levofloxacin for an infection, last 4 day I started to have stomach cramps before going to toilet.. watery stools occasionally. During Flagyl treatment things got back to normal but soon after treatment they re-appeared with cramps and watery stools.. then I started taking Curcimin pills along with probiotics.. I cut probiotics and it crawled back again with cramps but no diarrhea or watery stools..

I may be having milder symptom or it could be some other condition? I have an appointment next Monday and I’ll get a couple of tests.. I stopped 2nd Flagyl treatment for it had no effects whatsoever. I’m on natural treatments once again until my appointment.. they help me more than antibiotics do to be honest. They reduce the pain and totally cut diarrhea.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:59 pm

You still didn’t say if you are seeing a GI or ID dr. I doubt that one of those would order a 2nd course of Flagyl...hopefully not even an initial treatment although it has been known to happen

If you are not having d you almost never have c diff. Treatment for c diff is prescribed based on symptoms and that is the hallmark symptom. If you have episodes of cramps before going to the bathroom you may have post infectious IBS, common after c diff. Some probiotics and “natural” medications also do not agree with some people and cause gas, cramps and even d so be careful at what other the counter medications you take. S. Boulardii is a great probiotic but there are some people who can’t tolerate it. Also, you say you are taking “some” probiotics. Hopefully you are not taking too many. More is not necessarily better.

This may sound like a lot but these are things to consider. And again, I hope you have a dr on board who knows about c diff.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”