Weight and Iron

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
healthys
Contributor

Weight and Iron

Postby healthys » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:33 pm

Awesome folks on this support group!

Could you please tell me :
1. How long on average did it take for you to gain the lost weight? I am gaining 1-1.5lbs per month currently and the rate seems pretty low.
2. How long does the hemoglobin levels take to get to normal level? Mine are currently at 9.8 , they seem to have dropped from 10.6 ( tested a month back). I have started supplements for iron - taking gentle iron (iron bisglycinate- 25 mg tablet once a day)

Appreciate any insights!!

Thank you so much

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: Weight and Iron

Postby NS789 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:19 am

I can't speak to your weight issue as I somehow haven't lost any weight during my C diff ordeal.

But as for your iron levels, all I can say is I recall my levels taking their sweet time coming back up! I remember feeling frustrated and impatient because I was feeling so fatigued. But it definitely took time. My levels gradually came up over the course of 3-4 months. I know that seems like a long time but I've learned that it doesn't happen overnight, as much as I wished it did :)!

Hopefully you'll see some progress soon. Has your doctor ever suggested iron infusions? At one point my iron was low enough that my doctor had me go into the hospital for IV iron. I think I had to go a few times and the infusions took about 4 hours.

Just a thought. Also, I think I mentioned this to you before, but Feramax worked well for me as well as eating every iron rich food I could get my hands on lol
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:08 pm

Thank you for replying. Yes it had taken me a couple of months to go from 9.4 to 10.6 and then I went down to a small dose and it dropped back to 9.8 so I kind of freaked out.

And yes, if anyone can shed light on weight gain and tips to gain weight without sugars and dairy, would be helpful!! I am vegetarian and I want to gain weight. I am hoping that would help with hair fall as well I guess.

Thank you!!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:18 pm

Nuts!

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:32 pm

hahah thanks Roy! Yes, nuts. But can we eat nuts so soon after getting over the infection?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:37 pm

Only way to know is try.
Half a teaspoon first then build up.
If your normal diet is Indian theres plenty of options to add calories with nuts and ghee.

One thing I always believe is that the more you complain to a Dr, the more tests you end up doing and some will ALWAYS come back slightly off and result in even more tests and anxiety.
It's the Drs job and it's why you pay them.
Drs know you expect tests or treatment and are happy to oblige.
The best Drs are the ones that say no treatment is the best treatment!

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:43 am

Thank you Roy! Yes my diet is primarily Indian and I am having ghee in moderation. But I can try upping it along with some nuts as well.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:12 am

Hi Healthys, I've been trying to regain weight after cdiff as well. I'm not a vegetarian, but some foods I found that help for weight gain include avocados, lentils, oatmeal, eggs, cashews, and almonds. I also eat pasta, rice, cous cous, buckwheat, potatoes, and bananas. To boost my iron levels I eat an iron-fortified cereal. I try to eat often and not let myself get hungry, and I drink a lot of water. At this point I do eat dairy (mostly yogurt) again too, as well as chicken, fish, and some beef.

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:52 pm

Thank you Poppy for responding! At what point post treatment, did you introduce dairy yogurt?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”