Relapsed on Vanco taper. Dificid next?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
DCboiler
New User

Relapsed on Vanco taper. Dificid next?

Postby DCboiler » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi all,
Pretty sure I (28 y/o male) relapsed 7 weeks into 12 week taper on Vanco. Stool tests should come back tomorrow but I am positive it was a relapse (2nd so far, 1st relapse landed me in the hospital for two days). My GI is planning to refer me to another DR who performs FMT. It might be awhile before I can have this surgery as I hear stool donor's are in short supply due to covid. My question to the board is this: What was your experience with Dificid, specifically the treatment amount, length and outcome. Thanks all and reading this board has been therapeutic since this nightmare began.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapsed on Vanco taper. Dificid next?

Postby NanciT » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:07 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like you are currently on a Vanco taper and you believe it has failed? Generally they do not test ...at all and go by symptoms which you have not included. The tests may not be accurate if you are on medication.

I have done well with a Dificid taper 5 years ago after failing several rounds of Vanco. I also am 5 weeks post DIficid taper again after getting CDIFF again from IV Antibiotics while in the hospital.

I would consider DIficid if you have failed Vanco. Talk with your GI about it

Take Care

NanciT

DCboiler
New User

Postby DCboiler » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks for the reply and info. I am sorry to hear you caught it again after 5 years.

Yes, so my GI suggested we test again and surprisingly it came back negative. My symptoms were 10+ BM plus a low grade fever. Symptoms instantly improved when I upped my dosage of Vanco, but I think that threw off the results of the test which I submitted the following day. I have had IBS symptoms throughout the taper but this was definitely a relapse. Unfortunately my GI seems reluctant to prescribe AB without a positive test.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:52 pm

It's better not to treat unless BM's are watery D and continue, then I would place a quick call and give them an update.

Post IBS can be very difficult, stick with a bland diet, continue on Probiotic (florester) if you can take it. I take VSL3.

If D continues daily, call back immediately. Make sure to add electrolytes( I drink Smart water).

The test while on medication can not be accurate unless you have been off treatment for awhile.

Diet can be very irritating post CDIFF, I had part of an avocado 3 days ago, sick for 2 days and finally better today. I have to be very careful, I am 5 weeks out

Take Care and call GI if worse!!

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:11 am

It has happened to me as well , when i got to 125mg /per day i started to experience symptoms of a relapse , upped my dosage and symptoms subsided.If you are able to get Dificid , go for it , it's the best drug to treat this infection although sometimes the 10 days courses are not enough and longer courses are needed.Hope you are keeping a bland diet , stay away from gut irritants.

DCboiler
New User

Postby DCboiler » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Thank you for the info! Yeah diet is definitely a major factor for my symptoms as well. I drank a little bit of coffee after eliminating it from my diet for a month and I felt sick the entire day. Running a fever is very very rare for me however which is why I am pretty sure this was a relapse. I had a very high fever during my first relapse. I am trying to remain optimistic that this was only PI-IBS, but we will see. I am taking S Boulardi and will probably purchase floraster when that runs out as I see many on the forum recommend it. I just bought some Visbiome probiotic as well. I am going to cut back on the Vanco and see how I react when I add the Visbiome. I picked up some new test tubes from my GI today so that I am ready to collect a sample if fever and D return in force, and before I restart Vanco so that hopefully the test is accurate. Fun stuff....

Thanks Georgina, yes that is what I was wondering was length of treatment. It sounds like two week minimum bare minimum is best for Dificid, if not longer.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:08 pm

We have many posters who do the typical 10 days of Dificid. I did a longer taper due to how ill I was in 2014/15 with 5 relapses over a year including relapsing on the initial Dificid 10 days.

Now 5 years later, I have an ID who went directly to a Dificid taper. My insurance would only cover the first 10 day RX, I had to pay for the refill to do the taper. It is extremely expensive. My insurance refused stating they only allowed ONE RX of Dificid a year. I have a very pricey PPO. So we shopped around and did find a discount that helped.

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”