Relapse or PI-IBS

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
healthys
Contributor

Relapse or PI-IBS

Postby healthys » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and have been pouring over everything that is written on this website. It has been so helpful to me. I am 32 year old female, healthy with some antibiotic use in the past. Recently ( in August- September 2020) I came down with severe abdominal pains which was diagnosed as ruptured appendix and the infection had spread. I was put on flagyl and cipro and couldn't tolerate them for long ( I took them for 4 days I believe) and was hospitalized with an acute kidney injury which resolved in 4-5 days ( probably happened due to ruptured appendix/infection/nausea from the antibiotics and subsequent dehydration). My surgeon decided to take out the appendix since I was not getting better with non-operative management. It ended up being a bigger surgery with ileo-cecal resection because the infection had spread. After the ileocecectomy surgery I was on broad spectrum antibiotic - Zosyn for 9-10 days while in the hospital. I came home and started healing and had formed BM 1-2 times a day for over a month and everything was going well.

Into my 6th week post surgery around Oct 14-15th is when the loose stools started up to 3 times a day and my surgeon tested me for C-Diff immediately. It came positive and I was started on oral vanco for 10 days. I took the vanco and on the 6 th day had only 1 BM but it was small amount and formed. After that day I have been having 3 BMs a day with loose to watery to formed consistency. I have formed BM in the morning after waking up and then the subsequent ones become loose or watery/frothy/foamy or some mucous and recently saw some tissue as well I think.

I have an appointment with ID doctor tomorrow. His office wants me to start on Dificid. I re-tested after being off of 9 days of vanco and the result is positive ( which my PCP said that it would continue to be positive for a while).

I am also taking florastor ( 2 in the morning, 2 at night), 4 other kinds of probiotics- renew life, designs for health, Bio K plus and culturrelle, kefir and plant based yogurt with live cultures, a low FODMAP diet as well.

Please I request all moderators to help me understand if I need to start antibiotic or wait and watch, since my symptoms have been loose/watery stools. I am ebbing and flowing with emotions of trying to make peace that I had a big surgery and now this. It has been hard. My parents are over seas. But I live with my husband and he has been super supportive. But it can be hard to be supportive when there is so much involved. We were planning to try for babies this year and 2020 brought me all this instead. I have been so scared and feeling bleak about the future so much.

Please help me with any advice or support you can provide.

Appreciate you all and especially the moderators for building and updating and sustaining this forum for all of us.

Thank you so much!!
Last edited by healthys on Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse or PI-IBS

Postby NanciT » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:01 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread with posting information

Sorry you had to find us and go through such a terrible ordeal. The only advice I can give is to explain all details to your new ID you will be seeing, I am happy to hear you have the appt as soon as tomorrow. It's impossible for us to know if you are in recovery, have IBS, or CDIFF continues.

I will tell you in my case post treatment BM's can be all over the place. I currently have post IBS and have good days and bad days. I had CDIFF 5 years ago for a year and I want to add I never tested during that year, it was clear to me when I did relapse. I had D and that continued, had abdominal pain, no appetite etc during that time.

In recovery I do get D but it is not consistent. For me that is the indicator.It is VERY tough to deal with for some, others treat and move on.

I had a GI treating me 5 years ago, now I have an ID who listens and guided me through this.

Wishing you the best with your appointment, remember to write down all details, dates etc

Take Care

NanciT

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:00 am

Thank you so much NanciT. Appreciate your response so much!! I will find out today the next steps. I am leaning towards not treating but let's see what the ID doc says. I have formed stools in the morning and mushy subsequently, a total of 2-3 BM in a day, with these being the only symptoms.

Appreciate if anyone else could weigh in as well.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:58 am

This is what we call a "typical" Cdiff recovery , abnormal stool is to be expected for awhile. I would not worry unless the frequency increases and the consistency turns watery. Watch what you eat , do not jump on a normal diet because your gut will get irritated and you will get upset stomach .See CDI section -nutrition tips , stay away from alcohol and stick to one brand of probiotics , too much of those can also give you looser stools and other symptoms (excess gas , flatulence , rumbling etc).

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:16 pm

Thank you Georgina!! Appreciate you responding.

I just came back from my ID doc appointment and he also said to just watch the symptoms, for now he does not want to treat it further. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying to all the Gods.

I will continue to watch my diet and yes probiotics suggestion also sounds good. I have been taking different kinds thinking different strains would help but could be exacerbating problems.

Not sure why I get white foam/froth at the end of the loose stools. Is it what people called mucous? Again, appreciate you taking time our to respond!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”