Getting back to normal after C Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cwp1979
Brand New Poster

Getting back to normal after C Diff

Postby cwp1979 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:31 pm

I’m a 40 year old male. I started with C Diff 6 weeks ago. I tested positive 10 days in and did a 10day course of Vancomycin. I was still having frequent loose stools and did another 7 day course. I saw a GI doc about a week and a half ago and she had me tested again (negative). She suggested a low fiber/lactose free diet and florastor. Today is 10 days later (6weeks total) and I’m still having loose stools 4 to 7 times a day. The diet and probiotic don’t seem to help. The loose stools is nothing like the explosive diarrhea, stomach pain, has etc that I had during those first couple weeks but it is certainly frustrating to be nowhere close to normal. I’m curious if any other C Diff patients experienced anything similar? Is there anything I can do to get back on track? Imodium seemed to be the only thing to slow it down but I’ve tried to avoid it the past couple weeks. I just gave in and popped a couple. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Getting back to normal after C Diff

Postby beth22 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:45 am

Hi cwp1979 and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

There is a product called Questran (cholestyramine) that is sometimes given as it binds up toxins and gives more solid stools. It is a powder that you mix with water and originally used as a cholesterol lowering medication. It is pretty inexpensive, but does require a prescription. You might want to ask your doctor about that. I had to cut out all dairy products and fruit and raw vegetables, but it seems that you are already doing that. Florastor did not help me and gave me looser stools, but it does help most people. I took a probiotic called VSL#3. Some people have done well on a low FODMAP diet, but it varies with each individual. Pepto Bismol helped me. I did not take Imodium.

cwp1979
Brand New Poster

Postby cwp1979 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:39 pm

Thanks Beth. The odd part is that the symptoms seem to be consistent regardless of diet. My GI doc has me on low fiber but I actually wonder if soluble fiber such as oats or maybe citracel would help bind me up. I haven’t tried Pepto Bismal so I may try that.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:11 am

Maybe you should look into finding another doctor . A seven days course of Vanco is NOT enough , the ten day is the minimum course for a new discovered case , and maybe a first relapse , for subsequent relapses longer courses with tapered doses are recommended.

cwp1979
Brand New Poster

Postby cwp1979 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:17 am

The first course was 10 days and then a second 7 day course (17 days total). Either way, my family doctor prescribed me that. I am now seeing a gastroenterologist.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:01 am

Some people do well with fiber like Benefiber or Citrucel. I did not. Good you are seeing a GI. He or she should be able to give you some better food guidelines and talk about products that may help.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:30 pm

I could not tolerate any fiber for a very long time and could only eat bland foods. Florastor did help me. I did use cholestyramine as Beth mentioned but I had severe PI IBS and did not use that right away. Did she mention anything about an antispasmodic such as hyoscamine to slow down your intestinal motility so everything doesn’t move through you so quickly? You might want to ask about that. I would not get alarmed. I do think it is better to use Pepto rather than Imodium and see if that will help.

cwp1979
Brand New Poster

Postby cwp1979 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:10 pm

Glad to hear that what I’m going through is not uncommon. After two rounds of antibiotics and a negative post test I began wondering if I had something in addition to the bout of Cdiff. I’m interested in hearing how long it took those with post Cdiff IBS to get back to a normal bowl schedule. Thanks!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”