Safer Antibiotics List?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
brandine
Regular User

Safer Antibiotics List?

Postby brandine » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:57 pm

Dear Group,

Could anyone share a list of the safer antibiotics that might be recommended post-surgery?

I posted quite a bit in this forum last summer after going through a pretty serious bout of cdiff after a perforated appendix. I'm 45/female. I had one round of treatment with vanco that seemed to work, but I suffered many symptoms for a couple of months post-treatment, even relapsing 2 months after I finished treatment (my c-diff symptoms subsided after 2 days, and I had an amazing ID doctor who encouraged me to wait it out... so glad I did because it went away and never came back--a 2nd round of Vanco would have been a nightmare on my system).

The great news: I've been c-diff free for over a year, and after a rough 3-4 months, my gut finally moved back to normal, being able to eat what I wanted, etc. I will post my case history/success story later with more details. I know that reading these from others was very helpful to me during my rough months.

The bad news: I have a complex ovarian cyst that must be surgically removed this coming Wednesday, and there's a chance I'll need antibiotics post-surgery (we already agreed to not put antibiotics in my IV drip).

**It seems to me that I saw a list of safer antibiotics on this site, but I can't find them. Could anyone lead me in the right direction. I'd like to share a list of "if I have to have antibiotics, please use these if you can" with my Doctor.

Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you.

Brandy

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: Safer Antibiotics List?

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:42 pm

I asked my daughter's doctor the same question last week and he said "any abx can cause C Diff, and there is no such thing as safe abx"!

My ID doctor told if you have to take abx in future take Difficid or Vanco with it
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

brandine
Regular User

Postby brandine » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:13 pm

Thank you, Ali-Mar. I welcome any other thoughts on this too. I'm so worried about getting C.Diff again.

Also, if I do have to take an antibiotic, is it wise to take a probiotic with it?

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:19 pm

Definitely, I read on this site, a lot of people take Florastor when they are on abx
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:43 am

You can find this in the CDI section, but here is the link:

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/which-antib ... -diarrhea/

brandine
Regular User

Postby brandine » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:15 am

Thank you, beth22. I looked around but couldn't find something like this. This article is very helpful.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:42 am

FYI, Minocycline which Is the abx that caused my C Diff is listed as a safe abx in the article
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:21 pm

I've never seen that list before. Thanks Beth!

Cefuroxime is what caused my C diff. I had never taken it or heard of it before. It was prescribed to me for strep throat. And I curse it to this day! I will never take it again.

It's good to see from Beth's list that there are a few abx that are lower risk. But there's always some risk with abx no matter what. My GI said it's like a lottery every time you have to take them.

Probiotics are always a good idea.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:49 pm

That list has always been on our site and has been given to us by c diff experts . If you google antibiotics and c diff risk you will get a similar list as well. The disclaimer is that any antibiotic still can cause c diff. It is just which are most or least likely likely. The jury is still out on probiotics so it is better to take them, especially Florastor.

Rita

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Btw, if you have never checked out the CDI section you should. There is a lot of good information in that section.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”