Experience with cdiff in very young children

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Caligirl
Contributor

Experience with cdiff in very young children

Postby Caligirl » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:03 am

Can anyone give me details about their experience with c diff in very young children? I beat cdiff about a year and a half ago (thank goodness). My daughter who is a year and a half old has had black stool the last 3-4 days. Today I took her into her pediatrician and they did a quick test and determined that she does have blood in her stool. Tomorrow I’m collecting and taking in several stool samples for the 5 different tests that they want to run, and I saw that one of them is cdiff.

When I had it, I had what I believe is a very common case. Fatigue, inability to really eat, fever, and uncontrollable diarrhea. My daughter’s ONLY symptom is blood in stool. No fever, no diarrhea, no fatigue (quite the opposite. I live in CA where we are still shut down so she is full of a ton of energy).

So while I’m almost certain it isn’t cdiff and is probably a food allergy, I am curious if anyone has experience with a young toddler getting sick and if the symptoms were similar to when adults get CDI. Test results won’t be back for at least 4-5 days after I take it in, so I’m mostly looking for peace of mind.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: Experience with cdiff in very young children

Postby NS789 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:50 pm

Sorry to hear that your little one is sick! I see that you posted this on August 11th. Have you received her test results yet?

It doesn't sound like she has the typical C diff symptoms but I haven't read much about how it affects young children.

I hope all is well and that it's something that is easily dealt with.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”