Possible to beat a relapse without meds?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
NS789
Regular Contributor

Possible to beat a relapse without meds?

Postby NS789 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:50 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has beat a relapse on their own -- without taking additional antibiotics. And if so, what did you do to overcome it and manage your symptoms?

It's been two weeks since I finished Vanco and it's always around this time that I relapse (I've relapsed 4 times since March). I'm having some of the typical symptoms now, but I'm trying to be patient and see if things progress or if it's IBS.

If I *do* end up relapsing, I'd love to avoid more antibiotics if at all possible, which is why I'm curious. I've taken five different rounds of antibiotics already and I'm worried my stomach will never recover at this rate...

Thanks all.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Caligirl
Contributor

Re: Possible to beat a relapse without meds?

Postby Caligirl » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:40 am

I beat my second relapse without antibiotics.
My first infection I took Flagyl. I relapsed 3 weeks later and took Vanco. Relapsed a couple of weeks later but it was SO mild and symptoms went away after a couple of days, so I decided to not take the Vanco that my GI prescribed.
Every case and every person is different, so just because it worked for me doesn’t mean that will work for everyone. When I first got c diff I was literally having uncontrollable diarrhea every 1-3 minutes. I was so dehydrated that it put me into labor and I couldn’t even make it the 8 minute drive to the hospital without having to stop for D. But my 2nd relapse was very very mild. I ate bland, took Florastor morning and night, avoided dairy, and it went away after a couple of days.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:03 am

I took Pepto Bismol per my GI's advice and it worked. I doubt it would work for a severe relapse, but it worked for me for a milder relapse.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:19 am

Beth, how much pepto did your GI recommend taking?
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 am

Never try and treat a full on relapse without meds.
Minor symptoms (even with a positive test) can easily be IBS or normal early recovery and be relieved with OTC meds but full on D 3x for 3 days needs a Drs advice.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”