Have you taken an antibiotic w/Dificid at the same time for prevention?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ygy
Regular User

Have you taken an antibiotic w/Dificid at the same time for prevention?

Postby Ygy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi!

I have a UTI and need to take Macrobid. I’ve worked with my GI and GYN and they’ve suggested taking Dificid at the same time as I take the antibiotics for hopefully preventing a reoccurrence. As I’m fairly sure I will get another cdiff infection bc of my history which I listed at the bottom of the post.My doctors said to try this approach.

Has anyone successfully prevented cdiff in this way? I read some posters will take Vancomycin concurrently with the antibiotics.

Any success with this or suggestions?? Thank you!

For reference I’m a 34yo female. Here is a brief history of my c diff infections.

1st cdi : I got cdiff in 2012 while working as an RN easily treated with 10 days of vancomycin

2nd cdi: I got cdiff in 2017 after taking Macrobid. Didn’t have classic symptoms at first so I wasn’t tested or treated for a month. Took 10 day vanco. Relapsed 6 week vanco taper. Wasn’t working well so tried Dificid and healed.

3rd cdi: 2018 -Had a csection with my 3rd baby, got vanco IV as infection prophylaxis but still got cdiff after 2 weeks post op. Still not sure if it was hospital acquired or bc of IV vanco. Treated promptly with Dificid which was effective.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Have you taken an antibiotic w/Dificid at the same time for prevention?

Postby georgina » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 am

Macrobid is supposed to be on the "safe side". As you know , there is no 100% safe antibiotic , there are just some that are safer the others. If you need to take a course of antibiotics up your probiotic intake and , pray you won't relapse.

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:26 am

Georgina

Thank you for replying!
Unfortunately I got cdiff from Macrobid 3 years ago. I took florastor with it. I hadn’t been taking florastor previous to my Macrobid use. But I have been on florastor now for the past 3 years, perhaps it will help this time.

I listed my history below my post:)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:13 pm

Ygy

Sorry you are going through this, it's a worry we all have. I don't know if taking Dificid would make a difference. Dificid is so expensive so I don't believe we have had that question before. It's fortunate it cured you with one round in the past.

My ID would only consider Vanco wen I had to take Keflex in March and unfortunately I did get CDIFF although I took it during and post 5 days.

It was then a battle with my PPO insurance to get a Difcid taper to treat( 2 10 days RX's) but I did finally get it. I am now 12 wks out dealing with Post IBS but getting through. My original infection was 2014/2015.

I find we see more and more nurses on here...wishing you the best with this!

NanciT

DianaLyn
New User

Postby DianaLyn » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:56 pm

I took Macrobid for a kidney infection with no issue. Lots of kefir, no processed foods and tons of probiotics. I think Macrobid is a very low offender. My ID doc said I'd be fine on it and I was.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”