Can I take antibiotics 2 years post C diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Reesa
Brand New Poster

Can I take antibiotics 2 years post C diff?

Postby Reesa » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:09 am

Hi guys! I am a C diff survivor and I have not had a recurrence in 2 years. During my initial infection, I lost 15 pounds in about one week. I was able to cure my infection using Saccharomyces Boulardii and Lactobacillus several times a day for two weeks. Now, two years later, I am facing a crisis; I have a very stubborn double ear infection that may only go away using amoxicillin. I'm allergic to antibiotic drops. What should I do? Is it safe to take antibiotics again two years later?

Thanks,
Reesa

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Can I take antibiotics 2 years post C diff?

Postby NanciT » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:35 am

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

We don't often hear someone is clear of CDIFF with a probiotic but I imagine it is possible. Even if you were clear, any antiboitc can cause CDIFF again. Some are more prone to than others.

I don't believe the amount of time matters. I am 5 years out but did take Keflex for a kidney infection and was quickly diagnosed with CDIFF a week later.
Talk with your doctor about options. We have a list of antibiotics here on the site, some "safer" than others

Wishing you the best

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:40 am

Did you self diagnose with c.diff or did your Dr test?

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:30 pm

My ID doctor told me to take Vanco with the other antibiotics in the future when and if I need to go on antibiotics. However, he said instead of taking 4 Vanco pills per day he said to take 2 pills per day and up to one week after you complete the other antibiotic treatment
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:04 pm

Posters often take Vanco if an antibiotic is required. I was actually taking 3/day and timing the Keflex out when I came down with CDIFF in March. I was also taking VSL#3.

If there is anyway to choose an antibiotic that is a lower offender, that would be ideal. It may be possible for them to do a culture and Sensitivity of the ear? It is not done often but you may want to ask your doctor about it due to the history of CDIFF. It will identify the infection and list all antibiotics it is sensitive too.

Wishing you the best

NanciT

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:28 pm

Nanci, that is good to know. Did you take the Vanco up to a week after you completed the Keflex?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Reesa
Brand New Poster

Postby Reesa » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:21 am

"If there is anyway to choose an antibiotic that is a lower offender, that would be ideal. It may be possible for them to do a culture and Sensitivity of the ear? It is not done often but you may want to ask your doctor about it due to the history of CDIFF. It will identify the infection and list all antibiotics it is sensitive too."

Hi Nanci! I think getting a culture and sensitivity test is an excellent idea! I have my appointment tomorrow, I will ask for one. Thank you so much!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:34 am

Ali I took it during the Keflex and 5 days after.....two days later symptoms quickly started.

Reesa If they do not want to culture, look into and discuss Zithromax which is one several on the site have taken and done well

Good Luck

NanciT

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:53 pm

I agree with researching low-offending antibiotics and doing a culture of the infection first if possible - I was 9 years out from c-diff and got it again earlier this year after starting Augmentin for a possible upper respiratory/ear infection.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:49 am

I recently had to take bactrim and made it out of it ok. A couple of touch and go moments that freaked the bejesus out me but I made it. I’m fighting a terrible sinus thing right now (Midwest allergies) and am praying it doesn’t progress.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:21 pm

Do you do the nasal rinses? Most ENT doctors recommend that and it has helped me and others.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Hey Beth. Yeah I started rinsing yesterday and Flonase a couple days ago and feel good today. That’s how I got into the vicious cycle of antibiotics and ultimately cdiff. I’ve learned to treat it and wait it out and thus far for a year and half haven’t took an AB for a sinus infection. I live in the country in Ohio and they're bailing hay and alfalfa so my life this time a year is hell.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:30 am

Allergies can really make you miserable. I have them too.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:36 pm

Reese,
I am prone to c diff (3 bouts first one lasted 4'years). In the past, I took a z pak several times for bronchitis and then an ear infection this spring without a problem. It can be implicated in c diff for some, however, and it is listed in the side effects.

Best of luck. None of us want "the beast" back.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Didad, I have the same sinus and allergy issues in FL and my ENT has me use Betadine in nasal rinses because it acts as an antiseptic instead of an antibiotic. My sinusitis has lasted several weeks but I have avoided needing antibiotics. Look up different strategies in the CDI section of this site.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”