What happens after a Dificid relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: What happens after a Dificid relapse?

Postby Ril » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:58 am

I have never heard that testing negative for antigen means that you can never relapse with c diff again. I am wondering where Ali-Mar got that information.

Good news though. IBS can be nasty. I have been living with it for many years. It can be quiet for a long time then pop up again with a vengeance but there are meds if it persists.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:43 am

Ril,
I am not an expert, I assumed if you are not colonized ( not a carrier) you cannot relapse. You can only get reinfected. That is not correct? Is it
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:36 am

Antigen test detects the active c.diff bacteria.
It does not detect the spore form.
At least half of relapses after 4 weeks are probably new infections with different strains of c.diff!
Drs Are told to regard all "relapses" after 4 weeks as a new unrelated infection.
After c.diff treatment whatever allowed c.diff to overgrow is still there and the gut flora has to repair.
While its repairing it's still susceptible to another c.diff infection either from surviving spores inside you, picking up your own shed spores (reinfection) or a brand new infection.
C.diff is a very common bacteria that we come into contact with very often and does not normaly cause disease unless something has disturbed the natural immunity we all have.
If antibiotics caused someones c.diff then that's proof that their unique normal gut flora is highly likely to be damaged by antibiotics again in the future and environmental c.diff could cause another bout of illness.
That scenario is far more likely than becoming sick again because of being a carrier.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:43 pm

I hope you have been feeling better over the past few days. IBS can cause some really unpleasant symptoms when it flares up.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”