What should we expect

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Dmack89
Brand New Poster

What should we expect

Postby Dmack89 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:20 am

My wife has recently been diagnosed. Her symptoms had gotten to the point of almost constant, bloody diarrhea (every 10-15 minutes). First identified C Diff at a local ER
- they sent us home with Vanco. 36 hours later the bleeding continued with horrible cramping, ssd's o we went to a larger Hospital nearby- Level 1 Trauma and Teaching Location. She was admitted for 2 days. Time there, with IV fluids seemed to help. Bleeding and cramps lessened and she was able to handle the hour long ride home. Now. This morning both seem back.

Through all of this, no one has really told us what expect the "healing process" to be like. Does this sound typical or should the experience be different? Can we assume her condition is improving slowly, or be looking for something else?

Thanks for any feedback

roy
Administrator

Re: What should we expect

Postby roy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:49 am

If her symptoms have got worse go back to hospital.
Typically symptoms should resolve within 5 days of starting meds but severe symptoms should be monitored in hospital.
What's her age? and was c.diff caused by antibiotics?

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 am

So sorry to hear that your wife is going through this. I've been on Vanco twice and both times it took about 5 or 6 days before my symptoms started to calm down.

If she is still experiencing frequent bloody diarrhea at that point, I would definitely consult with the doctor again.

For pain, I found that extra strength Tylenol helped. Not Advil though. Too hard on your stomach when you have C diff.

Wishing her a speedy recovery! C diff can be a beast but I hope she starts feeling better soon.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Dmack89
Brand New Poster

Postby Dmack89 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:18 am

Thanks. Hopefully today will show improvement. Things seem to have slowed a bit the last couple of hours after a difficult night.

Roy. To answer your questions, 60 and no, this is not secondary to antibiotic use. We are baffled about the origin. We had some takeout a few weeks back, but docs think that may have been too long ago to be source.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Could she also be checked for IBD (Crohn or UC)? IBD is mostly diagnosed trough colonoscopy ,but a calprotectin fecal test would give some info if,weather or not IBD is associated with the Cdiff infection. Agree with Roy about being admitted , she definitely sounds very very ill and should be under a doctor supervision. She also needs fluids ,and it is hard to stay hydrated when you are going every 15 mintus to the toilet.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:46 pm

Did they do any tests for anything else - other bacteria, parasites, norovirus? It is possible she also has another pathogen in addition to the c difficile.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”