Peppermint Oil for PI-IBS?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
NS789
Regular Contributor

Peppermint Oil for PI-IBS?

Postby NS789 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi there,

Has anyone been using peppermint oil capsules for their PI-IBS? I remember peppermint oil being recommended to me by a pharmacist back when I was a teenager and first experiencing IBS. I took it for a while but didn't stick with it at the time. And then I kind of forgot about it.

Now that I'm dealing with IBS symptoms from C diff, I was thinking about trying it again and I was just wondering if it was truly helpful for anyone on here. I know it's proven to be as effective as prescription anti-spasmodics so I thought it might calm things down a little bit.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Peppermint Oil for PI-IBS?

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi

The main item in IBGARD which is over the counter for IBS is pepermint oil. My GI gave it to me last time I had Post IBS. I did try it but found it made the GERD much worse in my case. I tried it before going to a RX

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:21 am

I have found peppermint essential oil by Doterra to be more helpful then IBgard. I have ordered the peppermint oil and zengest oil and vegetable capsules , and make my own pills when i have discomfort.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:29 am

Thanks NanciT and georgina!

What symptoms did you find the peppermint oil helped with the most? And how many capsules per day did you take? A lot of brands say to take up to 6 a day but that seems pricey and excessive to me lol
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:17 am

It helps when i have cramps and bloating and gas . I never needed more then 1 pill . I do not take it every day , i take it when i need it.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”