Normal recovery symptoms?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Benlin1
Brand New Poster

Normal recovery symptoms?

Postby Benlin1 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:10 pm

Thank you all for the advice I’ve gleaned so far. I am a 41 year old female and I was put on six weeks of antibiotics (Penicillin, Amoxicillin, and Clyndamycin) in Jan/Feb for a supposed reoccurring strep throat. Two weeks after finishing the Clyndamycin the diarrhea struck going 15-20x/ day. It took about 10 days for a diagnosis and I was put on Flagyl for 10 days. I am now 2.5 months into recovery. However I am still dealing with constant right upper abdominal burning/aching pain, foggy head, occasional mucus and nausea. The right sided upper abdominal pain started about a week before the diarrhea. It’s not severe just a burning/aching yet constant. Are these all normal recovery symptoms? Other then the occasional flare ups of mucus my bowel movements have pretty well normalized. Thank you all for your help and advice.

roy
Administrator

Re: Normal recovery symptoms?

Postby roy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:19 pm

Might not be c.diff related so ask your Dr.
Dull pain in that area was the only indication I had liver problems so if I were you I would get checked out.

Benlin1
Brand New Poster

Postby Benlin1 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:36 pm

Thank you for the reply. I see people referring to abdominal pain on here Is it usually a different sensation and area? Mine is to the right of belly button and a little above. Nothing in the lower quadrant.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:35 pm

It's best to ask a Dr.
Liver pain is just below the bottom rib on the right.
Easily ruled out by simple bloods and/or US scan.

Benlin1
Brand New Poster

Postby Benlin1 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:27 pm

Ok thank you. I did just recently have a CBC done and abdominal exam and he didn’t seem concerned. Sounds like I should press for an US. Are the rest of my symptoms typical in C. Diff recovery?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Benlin1,
Welcome to the site. Pls read the first forum for the history of the site and rules of posting.

Again, welcome.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:03 pm

Have you had your pancreatic enzymes checked? Mine were elevated after c diff and the pain is near the belly button usually. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms. Gall bladder can also cause pain. An US is one of the tests they ran on me too.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:42 am

I'm not sure about the upper abdominal pain, but the other symptoms you mentioned are typical of recovery, in my experience. It's a long process. I hope you're feeling better very soon.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:09 pm

If your CBC was normal then that should rule out the liver. I was in absoloute shock when mine was completely normal given all the beer I’ve drank in my day. I can tell you that after cdiff I had some issues with the gallbladder not working right for a bit. My gi wasnt concerned and said it should clear and it did. I also had an awful burning in the gut but that was from cdiff shredding my intestines. I compared the burning to feeling like I drank bleach.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:09 pm

A CBC doesn't tell you much about your liver. A CMP (complete metabollic panel) or a liver panel will indicate if you have liver problems. Often they also run the CMP when they do a CBC, but it is a separate test.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:05 pm

Beth's right to point out that CBC does not rule out liver problems.
Specific LFT tests are needed
Gold standard for a drinkers liver is Advanced Liver Fibrosis (ALF) (UK name) but its expensive!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:11 pm

In the US the ALF and ALK are part of a metabolic panel and measure liver enzymes and is a routine lab test.

Benlin1
Brand New Poster

Postby Benlin1 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Thank you for all the replies. I did have a full metabolic panel done a week before the diarrhea started as the right sided abdominal pain is what took me to the doctor originally. Everything was within normal ranges. Is it abnormal to have right sided pain? I occasionally have sharp pains on the left but this achey/burning on the right just hangs on. It started right before the CDI diarrhea started and I’ve never had any other GI distress. The usual tiredness/head fog and occasional mucus seems to come and go. I’m almost twelve weeks out and just tired of feeling crummy. Thank you again for all the support and input.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:37 pm

I have had right sided pain, but usually it is left. If it continues, talk to your doctor about it.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”