Cdiff question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Sitedude
New User

Cdiff question

Postby Sitedude » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi guys I finally submitted my stool culture for testing. My symptoms started June 14th blood, mucas, etc. Went back to formed stool now as of today its watery and I am experiencing slight abdominal pain. I wont have the results for 3 to 5 days. Would it be better to goto the er? Am I in any danger waiting til I get the results?

roy
Administrator

Re: Cdiff question

Postby roy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 pm

Sorry but only a doctor can answer that question.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:14 pm

Ugh, sorry to hear that you're not feeling well and that you have to wait so long for results. I guess I'm fortunate that I always get my results in 1-2 days. I know how hard it can be to wait.

I'm not a doctor, but as long as you make sure you're keeping yourself well hydrated, you should be okay to wait until you get your results (unless things really change for the worse). I found that 2 extra strength Tylenol helped with my abdominal pain.

Hang in there.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Sitedude
New User

Postby Sitedude » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 am

If it comes back positive what's the best and safest treatment. Would it be vancomycin?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:33 am

My choice would be Dificid because it kills the least good flora and targets the c diff more specifically. But, that is something that you and your doctor need to decide if the need arises. Also, check with your insurance company to see which med they will pay for.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:12 am

The best treatment based on the ID and GI experts in the following video is Dificid taper

https://www.mdmag.com/peer-exchange/bes ... -infection
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Sitedude
New User

Postby Sitedude » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:41 pm

I officially hate my doctors. Turned in a m stool sample tuesday been sick to my stomach with fear, called the lab they sent it to after they said it was sent the same day, lab says they never received it. I've been doing a brat diet for 2 days stools form semi normal so now I dont know what to do. I'm so bloated and have bad gas pains it's insane with doctors in south Carolina

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Not too many dr have experience with C Diff. Get a GI or ID doctor, most other dr don't know much about D Diff. Where in SoCal are you? If you are in SD I can suggest some drs to you.
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Sitedude
New User

Postby Sitedude » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:59 pm

Yep after 10 calls today I can confirm they sample got destroyed in transit. This is crazy. Ive been now having solid bms for 2 days since i started a BRAT diet, Now I have to wait until Monday before I can turn in the sample again then wait 3-5 days for results. SC = South Carolina, wish it was Southern Cali, would be a lot better of doctors.

DaveMal
New User

Postby DaveMal » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:53 am

Sorry to hear about that, Sitedude. That's unfortunate. I was very frustrated while waiting for my results, which were delayed by several extra days, so I understand the associated anxiety. I suppose the reason in your case adds an extra level of aggravation, but try to focus on doing what you can. Keep going gentle on your gut and try to relax. Perhaps you'll continue to improve. If you are going more "normally" then take some comfort in the relief. Of course, consult your doctor or ER if you think you need to if things get worse. Take care.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:14 am

I know how you feel - that's happened to me before too! Stick to your BRAT diet for a few days. It seems to be helping you from what you describe. Call the lab and see if they are open tomorrow or Saturday. Maybe it is.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:28 am

3 days ago You said you had 6 beers and no GI problems.
Now you say you submitted a stool test at that time and also have had formed stool since going on BRAT 2 days ago.
Its 99.999999% impossible to claim c.diff is controlled after 2 days of BRAT.
6 beers, only 2 days of BRAT, formed stool!
NONE of that indicates c.diff colitis.
The ONLY reason your being tested is because your diagnosing yourself and pressurizing your Dr.
No Dr would suspect you have c.diff.
I doubt if the sample was lost.
More likely the lab rejected it and destroyed it because it did not match the first rule of testing.
That rule is that if a sample does not visually indicate c.diff theres no colitis and no test is indicated.

Sitedude
New User

Postby Sitedude » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:45 am

No I submitted just the mucus from the s. They said that the vial looked messy and want another one submitted they won't be open until Monday. I think the vial must have been too loose or damaged during transport

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:07 am

You need to submit a typical stool sample as instructed and not just select what you think is the most likely to be tested.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:52 pm

I have submitted just M before and they tested and it was positive, but that was many years ago. See how you are by Monday. If things are okay and you don't have D, then wait until you do. You might as well test for parasites and other bacterial pathogens. Maybe it is something else, or if all is negative, then it is IBS most likely. But, as Roy said, many labs won't test formed stool for c difficile. I think for a stool culture, it doesn't matter.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”