Anyone know if just touching Clindamycin cause c Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Anyone know if just touching Clindamycin cause c Diff

Postby Dobies#1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:05 pm

Why oh why do I always fear C Diff when my gut is messed up!? So, my dog is on Clindamycin for a tooth abscess and has been for about 14 days. He’s 14 so the vet didn’t want to put him under to pull it. Anyway I’ve been touching it obviously because I have to put it in his food for him to take it. I wash my hands after I make sure he swallows them. I had some stomach pains in the middle of the night last night and got up this morning with stomach cramps and had diarrhea. Went again after lunch but wasn’t D. But it still feels like I could go again. Ugh! I did have an enchilada and taco for lunch yesterday and have eaten some of our fresh peaches and blackberries over the last few days and have been stressed about the COVID and other junk they keep showing on the news, SO I’m hoping these are the reasons for the wonky gut issues I’m experiencing. Sorry if I sound irrational but I’m just over all the crap lately. No pun intended. Thoughts? And thanks in advance! XOXO!

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone know if just touching Clindamycin cause c Diff

Postby NS789 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:11 pm

You don't sound irrational at all. I think c diff makes us all a little paranoid lol

Dont worry though. There's no way the clindamycin is getting absorbed into your system through your skin. Especially when you're taking the added precaution of washing your hands everytime you treat your dog.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the fresh fruit and berries are what's causing your stomach upset. I imagine you'll feel better in a day or two.

Take care!
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:13 pm

You don't sound irrational - I had a similar question last month when my dog was prescribed the "doggy version" of Augmenten for a paw infection. I had my husband administer the pills just to keep my mind from going into stress overdrive, but that was probably overkill!
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Don't feel bad. I was supposed to dog sit my daughter's dog a couple of years ago and refused when I found out she was on clindamycin. Fresh fruit sounds like it to me. If you are worried, wear gloves when you give the medication.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks everyone! My stomach was tight all day yesterday but I’m much better today. Going to go easy on the fruit for awhile. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who is uneasy about even touching antibiotics. It’s crazy what C Diff does to the mind. It’s been seven years since I’ve had it, but the fear just sticks, as you all know. Thanks again! Hope you all have a wonderful day. XO!!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:49 pm

About the same chance of getting pregnant by washing your husbands underpants!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Roy,
Love it!!

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Haha Roy! Always the funny one! LOL!!!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:54 pm

Hi Dobies,
Except for the normal craziness, I hope you are doing well!
Rita

Babs85
New User

Postby Babs85 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:38 pm

It does make you leery of All Antibiotics. Lactoferrin & Colostrum use to be all I would use. It worked no sinus infections for a long time! Truth too.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”