What are the odds of relapse at 1 year out?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
bimelime
New User

What are the odds of relapse at 1 year out?

Postby bimelime » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:01 am

Hey everyone I'm 21 years old and I'm 1 year off of my last vanco pill. What are the odds of a relapse because I have been feeling absolutely awful yesterday and today. I am terrified that it is cdiff again because I have abdominal pain and lack of appetite but I've been dealing with PI IBS ever since. I want to believe it's just a really bad ibs flare but I dont know anymore I'm really scared and would love reassurance.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: What are the odds of relapse at 1 year out?

Postby NS789 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi bimelime,

Unless you've taken antibiotics recently, a c diff infection is unlikely. Also, where you haven't had c diff in over a year, you wouldn't be relapsing at this point but instead experiencing a new infection.

Given that you have a history with IBS, I suspect you're having a flare up of that. Go easy on your system for a couple of days and see what happens.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon!
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: What are the odds of relapse at 1 year out?

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:15 pm

It's possible, but not probable. I usually take Pepto Bismol when I have a flare of IBS, but you should check with your doctor before taking it.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”