C diff from scd diet

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
11bravo
Brand New Poster

C diff from scd diet

Postby 11bravo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:33 pm

I recently started the SCD diet for crohns and was doing well in the intro phase. About 2 weeks ago I started having severe watery D and just thought it was die off. After a week of no resolution I did a stool test that showed c diff. Has anyone heard of the scd diet causing c diff and if so how does that occur? Thanks

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: C diff from scd diet

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi 11bravo and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters.

I have not heard of that type of diet causing c difficile, but Crohn's is an auto immune disorder and it can make you more susceptible to getting it perhaps. We have had some posters who have had both conditions. Ask your doctor what his or her experience has been with Crohn's patients who also have c difficle. Are you being treated for the c diff?

11bravo
Brand New Poster

Postby 11bravo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:33 am

Thanks for the response. I've had c diff before from taking to many antibiotics. I took metronidazole, vonco and dificid. I eventually had to get an fmt. By that time I had lost 90lbs and of course been taken out of a 5 year remission. I spent the last 3 years putting back on 20lbs until I got endocarditis. Of course 2 months of antibiotics really caused gi issues. I did I stool test inpatient for c diff which was negative but I was on antibiotics so I suspected it was a false negative. About a week ago which is about 2 months after all the antibiotics I started the SCD diet because my gi tract was so wrecked from the antibiotics. I had 5 days of normal BMs and out of nowhere had terrible watery D. Did a stool test and got a call this morning saying I have c diff. My doctor wants me to of course go down the rabbit hole of taking antibiotics. I just can't stop thinking of how scd and c diff could be related. Someone on the breaking the vicious cycle mentioned he had c diff after staring the diet and he read in the listserv others had that as well. The listserv no longer exist as it was a post from 2002. Sorry for such a long response. Just hopeful someone can help dissect this with me.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:18 am

I don't see how the diet caused the CDIFF, but the antibiotics certainly can even if you did have the original negative results.

I had CDIFF 5 years ago, it was the typical starting with flagyl and months of medications. Lost 40 lbs and was terribly sick That was 2014/15 and a Dificid taper cured me. The post IBS lasted a long time, recovery was long. Had bladder irritation for a long time post all these meds.

Fast forward to now, diagnosed with CDIFF in March after a kidney infection had to be treated with antibiotics. This time I saw an ID and went directly to a Dificid taper. I am now 1 month out, the Dificid taper was harsh, I did not feel well at all and had similar bladder irritation I had 5 years ago. I am now dealing with Post IBS and the fear it will return but hanging in there . This time I lost 5 lbs The post IBS seems worse this time, I am sticking to a a very bland diet.

I would talk with your GI or ID about starting on Dificid.

Good luck!

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:08 pm

Two months later for an onset of c diff after taking antibiotics is not uncommon. I first got c diff 2 months after completing Cipro for an infection.

11bravo
Brand New Poster

Postby 11bravo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks for the responses. Did the dificid cause you the post ibs? My doctor mentioned dificid today and said it only attacks the c diff leaving the good bacteria alone. I find that hard to believe. I'm sorry y'all are going through this as well.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:06 am

Dificid is a hard drug for some to take and it can cause GI upset. Between the c diff and the medications to treat it, the intestines really get wiped out sometimes. Give it time and eat bland on the days when you have issues.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:18 am

It is true that Dficid does not kill all of the good bacteria, just the Gram-Positives , I think .. the IDand GI doctors in the following video explain, how

https://www.mdmag.com/peer-exchange/bes ... -infection
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”