Can Sauerkraut cause black/tarry stool?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Can Sauerkraut cause black/tarry stool?

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed May 20, 2020 3:08 pm

I am still on Difcid taper, 1 pill/every other day..

My diet has been bland for last several months, mash potato, boiled chicken breast, quinoa , banana.

I added 1/2 cup of Sauerkraut to dinner last night for first time, and had 1 pill ProK + probiotic (also for 1st time) instead of VSL3.

I had one loose/fluffy BM today, but some of it was black/tarry, the color was very concerning (not norm for me). . Moreover, today I have a mild dull pain in lower left side of my abdominal for last two hours or so.

Can the Sauerkraut cause black stool?
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Wed May 20, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Re: Can Sauerkraut cause black/tarry stool?

Postby poppy86 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:46 pm

I don't know if sauerkraut can cause black or tarry stool. What I do know is that taking a lot of probiotics at once, which it does sound like you're doing, could cause loose stool. And stools that are loose sometimes went through your digestive tract quickly, so the bile remains green when you have a BM. It's possible your BM was actually a dark green, it's hard to distinguish from black without the proper lighting.

Case in point, one of the stool samples I brought to the lab last week was black I thought. But then when I looked at it in the car, in sunlight, it was clearly dark green lol (sorry to be gross). But yeah, something to consider. In addition, the abdominal pain you're having could be a normal part of recovery or due to taking new probiotics that you aren't used to.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu May 21, 2020 12:02 pm

Definitely not the sauerkraut !
Only digested blood , iron , pepto bismol or charcoal will cause this . There is also a small possibility that foods like spinach and blackberry or blueberries in high quantity might color the stool in a dark color.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu May 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Thanks Poppy and Georgina ,
I had boiled green beans that night, in addition to mash potato, chicken, quinoa and sauerkraut. Having said that, I also today had the dark bowel with black specks, even though I only had mash potato, chicken breast and boiled broccoli last night
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Thu May 21, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu May 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Probably the green beans and broccoli not digesting properly.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:02 pm

I agree with Roy, I think the black specks are actually the vegetables. When I eat green zucchini, I get the same thing.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Tue May 26, 2020 7:13 pm

Like they said, eating greens and foods like blueberries or even drinking grape juice will change the color of your BM. Can be quite shocking when you're not prepared for it.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”