Symptoms typical of PI-IBS?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Symptoms typical of PI-IBS?

Postby georgina » Thu May 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Please talk to your doctor about doing the calprotectin stool test as well .

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:23 am

Just an update - I had my flexible sigmoidoscopy last Tuesday, and the doctor said he didn't see any signs of colitis or other inflammation. The bleeding is due to very inflamed internal hemorrhoids. He told me that my symptoms are consistent with IBS and that I should take Benefiber twice daily, and try to avoid straining. He also advised me to absolutely NOT take Florastor, and also suggested I look into an anxiety medication because my anxiety causes the IBS symptoms to be even worse. He said a stool calprotectin test is unnecessary at this time, since I had the C-reactive protein blood test recently. The sigmoidoscopy itself was easy for me because I was sedated (due to having a sexual trauma history), but I did have to take two enemas to prepare beforehand, in case anyone is wondering what the prep entails.

I started a food diary to keep track of what foods I can tolerate. Some days I have numerous BMs, sometimes fewer, sometimes with a lot of blood, sometimes less. Whenever I have a more loose/watery BM I get pretty anxious, so I'm working on managing the anxiety surrounding that. Tomorrow I will take the last pill in my Vanco taper.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Today I had D twice, which is putting me on edge. I ate a lot of corn last night, so I'm hoping that's the cause.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat May 30, 2020 8:26 pm

sorry to hear you are having hemorrhoids, but I guess on the bright side, it was not C-Diff. Did he say why to stop taking Florastor?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:19 pm

Corn is one of those foods that is not digested - it passes through you whole.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:34 am

Ali-Mar- My doctor said not to take Florastor due to the bleeding. If someone has bleeding, Florastor has the potential to cause a systemic yeast infection.

I'm trying to take it one day at a time. My anxiety is making this really rough.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”