Symptoms typical of PI-IBS?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
poppy86
Regular Contributor

Symptoms typical of PI-IBS?

Postby poppy86 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:51 pm

If you had PI-IBS following c.diff, could you tell me what kinds of symptoms you had? I'm at the end of a vanco taper (1 pill every other day), and last week I started having some symptoms that alarmed me, so I had a stool sample tested, and it was negative for c.diff. I'll talk with my gastroenterologist on Wednesday, but today I was told by a nurse from his office to continue with my taper and that he suspects I have PI-IBS with hemorrhoids.

I've been having multiple BMs every day (like between 5 and 10), a lot of urgency especially in the morning, and it alternates between more formed and loose. There is also some blood and mucus on the stools and toilet paper. When I first tested positive for c.diff back in March, I had the blood and mucus as well but was going much more often then. I also have a lot of gas/rumbling in my stomach often. I'm just wondering if what I'm experiencing is common for PI-IBS or indicative of something else, like IBD.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Symptoms typical of PI-IBS?

Postby beth22 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:37 pm

Doing a test for c diff when you are on vanco is likely to not be accurate. At least that is what I have always been told by doctors. I will tell you that I relapsed when I tapered to one vanco pill a day. That doesn't mean that this is what you have. Talk to your doctor on Wednesday. If you are having multiple bms, then that certainly could cause irritation. Ask the doctor if there is something you can take along with the vanco for the IBS.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 pm

Thank you for your reply Beth22. I actually asked the on-call doctor I spoke to yesterday if the test result could be a false negative, and he was very adamant that it's highly unlikely. So it seems he may have been wrong about that. I hope my regular doc has some answers for me, because something is clearly going on.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:38 pm

Maybe the type of test you had is accurate when you are on vanco. Make sure to tell your regular doctor what type of test it was if he doesn't have the result.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:39 am

Thanks Beth, yes, my doctor is aware of what test was conducted, since he was the one who ordered it, and he did see the results already.

I'm struggling terribly with anxiety. I wake up each morning with a lot of gas/rumbling and the urge to go to the bathroom, and then I go several times throughout the morning. It's already been 4 times today. I know my anxiety doesn't help, but I don't know how to reduce it. I try to get outside each day and take a walk, meditate, listen to relaxing music, play some games that distract me, but the mornings are awful, and I have a hard time eating because of this. Today in particular I'm so anxious that I've been gagging and retching (not actually nauseous, this is a manifestation of anxiety), and I know it's contributing to the loose stools to be in this state.

Please, does anyone have suggestions for relaxing and calming down? I'm just so afraid of a lot of things, terrified of relapse, of going to the bathroom, of seeing blood in the BMs, it's consuming me. I lost a lot of weight already and can't afford to lose more.

Rusty S
Regular User

Postby Rusty S » Tue May 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Forgive me if this isn't useful advice, but have you tried time restricted eating? You know, the type of daily intermittent fasting where you fast (excluding but water) from whenever-o'clock PM until whenever-o'clock AM the next day as long as it's over 12hrs (apparently >16hrs is the point of diminishing return)? During recovery, if I start eating just whenever, it's kinda steady-in/steady-out. If I start eating at 9am, stop at 7pm, and fast for the next 14hrs, within a few days things become noticeably more... predictable. Are you taking Florastor at all? It's one the gold-standards for easing recovery symptoms and lowering relapse risk, as far as I've read/experienced.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:01 pm

Thank you for your reply Rusty S. I haven't been doing time-restricted eating, but I'll give it a try. I do have Florastor but haven't taken it yet, my gastroenterologist specifically advised against taking it because of my bleeding.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue May 19, 2020 5:23 pm

Dont know if that's correct Rusty.
Over the years I have noticed posters symptoms during recovery are worse in the morning, possibly because the stomach empties overnight.
Often a healthy snack during the night solves some of the morning problems.
Florestor must NOT be taken if your bleeding.
it can cause a systemic yeast infection if it passes into the blood.
Bleeding has continued throughout your treatment, if c.diff meds dont resolve symptoms your Dr MUST investigate the possibility that it's not c.diff causing it.
IBS is NOT an acceptable diagnosis if your bleeding.
Might be colonoscopy time. (or flexy sig).

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Thank you for your reply Roy. I do expect my doctor will order further testing to see what's going on. I'll be talking with him tomorrow.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue May 19, 2020 6:04 pm

I have suffered with PI IBS after c diff for many many years.
I have tried several remedies, both on my own and with my GI, both medication and diet related.
I have never done the time restricted eating. I have sometimes been afraid to eat because food would go through me, but found if I didn’t eat for so many hours unless the spasms stopped when I finally ate a normal meal it would start up an attack.

I don’t see this as a regular strategy.

If you believe your anxiety is out of control despite your efforts at stress reduction techniques, see about therapy (hard right now, but not impossible and telemedicine) and don’t be afraid to ask for medication for short term help.

I agree with Roy that this frequent bleeding does not sound consistent with IBS and I would ask my dr to look into it further as you have said.
Rita

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Thank you for your reply Ril. I'll ask my doctor a lot of questions, hopefully he has some options for me. This website has been really helpful for me through all of this.

One thing about my bleeding, sometimes there is very little, sometimes much more. I noticed it tends to increase through the day, with the frequency of BMs. I don't know if that's hemorrhoid-related.

I definitely think I need some therapy. I have a history of anxiety and depression, and the health issues recently have greatly worsened both.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 am

I had a couple solid BMs this morning with no blood at all and was feeling pretty good about that. But then I had another two that were nothing but bloody mucus :(. So I'm feeling extremely anxious now. This afternoon I'll talk with my doctor.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:34 pm

My gastroenterologist scheduled me for a flexible sigmoidoscopy this coming Tuesday. I'm required to have a covid test done beforehand. I really can't wait to put all this behind me (pun intended lol).

Rusty S
Regular User

Postby Rusty S » Wed May 20, 2020 3:23 pm

ROY
Thanks so much for catching that on the Florastor. I need to keep that in mind for myself in the event I ever see any bleeding! Didn't know about the systemic yeast problem that could occur.

POPPY86
Continued bleeding? Yeah, I'd go for a scope, too. I had a colonoscopy done when I was first diagnosed because the Gastroenterologist wanted to rule out any type of inflammatory bowel disease. Sounds like you're taking the right steps. Best of luck! We're here for ya if you need to talk it out. We all know what a nightmare this can be.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Thanks for your reply Rusty, I do hope the test clearly shows what's going on, and then I can proceed from there and hopefully move forward with my recovery.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”