Anyone with similar experience? I feel alone in this.

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Meglee
Brand New Poster

Anyone with similar experience? I feel alone in this.

Postby Meglee » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:45 pm

I am a 32 year old female, I was diagnosed with c diff after completing antibiotics for h pylori. I didn’t have the standard watery D that many people experience. It was pencil thin loose with mucous. I did the standard 14 day course of vancomycin and within days many of my symptoms came back. My infectious Disease doctor put me on a taper. The day I lowered my dose to three a day I started having cramping and stools were less formed. I am now on day five of the three day and I have a pain in my left side. Feels like it did when I had the colitis from the initial infection. My stools are getting looser each time I go no matter how many bananas and toast I eat. I emailed my doctor and am scheduled for an “E visit” next Tuesday to discuss a FMT. He never suggested Difficid as an option. Is that unusual? I’m having such a hard time understanding why I feel so much better on the full dose of vancomycin. It feels like my body is betraying me or something. I’m just ready to be myself again.

roy
Administrator

Re: Anyone with similar experience? I feel alone in this.

Postby roy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:02 pm

How many bananas?
And how much toast?

Meglee
Brand New Poster

Postby Meglee » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:40 pm

roy wrote:
> How many bananas?
> And how much toast?
I usually eat a banana and two pieces of toast every morning. Then I drink 4 oz of kefir twice per day.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:23 pm

Do you eat any dairy products? I was no longer able to tolerate yogurt with c diff. When I stopped, my symptoms improved. Kefir does not agree with everyone either. Maybe try to stop for a day or drink only 2oz and 2oz and see if it makes a difference. I would ask the doctor about Dificid before jumping into FMT. Right now, especially with the coronavirus going around, I would not want to be in a hospital or surgical center.

Meglee
Brand New Poster

Postby Meglee » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:26 pm

Ok, I will back off on the kefir and see if that helps. I did cut out diary otherwise since it did seem like it was starting to have an effect on me. Thank you for your responses. I will has about the other option before a FMT. I was already very nervous about it to begin with.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:27 pm

Try cutting down the kefir. I am currently trying to add kefir to my diet and I notice the other day when I went up to 4 oz in a day (spread throughout) my stools got worse. I cut back to 2 oz yesterday and things are a bit better today. Some people don't tolerate probiotic well and I am one of them. Food, pills, drinks it doesnt matter. I also had a healthy friend try kefir who wanted just improve her gut health and she did 8 oz and said it tore her apart and she eats very healthy. So try maybe cutting it down and see if things improve. Also I found the more the green the banana the better. The more ripe ones tend not to work as well.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:29 pm

I remember my GI telling me that when he has tried kefir, it gave him stomach cramps and loose stools. Not everyone can tolerate it, I guess. I had problems with it too when I tried it years ago and don't use it.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:07 am

I too don't do well on yogurt/kefir , a spoonful is enough to give me massive gas and bloating , rumbling .

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”