Normal recovery?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Normal recovery?

Postby hledgess » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:58 pm

So over the last 5 days or so after being off of a very long vanco taper last Friday .. I have had cramps, pain, nausea, and extreme bloating .. after I have a bm.. now the bm have been fine .. besides one epeisode on Monday and then not going the next day..but took pepto a couple days so today was off.. all of this has me confused .. and scared .. I was never on vanco in the past.. and it was a long one .. so my question is are these things that we go through during healing .. and will it just take time? Bc I’m miserable in pain laying in bed and just wanna eat like I could on vanco and I want to gain weight n not be in bed .. at least that’s an option bc of the lockdown .. but I’m still not enjoying it lol

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Re: Normal recovery?

Postby hledgess » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:03 am

Anybody have any insight on what recovery is like? Are these recovery things or should I be more concerned? I feel like drs don’t know as much as those on this site bc they haven’t gone through it and if patients don’t tell them then they won’t know .. lots of gurgling fans pain and cramps again yesterday until
I went .. then got woke up with it just now .. if anyone has anything they went through in recovery that’d be awesome

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:08 am

I am 5 1/2 weeks out first treatment with dificid. I still having abdominal pain especially if it a new food or if its a very heavy dairy food which I found out the hard way (brochlii cheese soup). Stool is still not normal. I only go once a day. Had nausea yesterday too. Not sure if it was the soup the night before or not enough water. I also had the feeling of having to go all day too. I actually took some kefir and it settled me. Who knew because it used to be hard for me to take this. It has been a total guessing game everyday. Some days fine. Some day total crappy. I asked my Dr about it and he think it just post infections ibs and said weeks to months to recover. I asked about a week ago because I was having a hard day. He said there are drug out there to help but I breast feeding and that limits me a lot so I trying to let time heal me as it seem what seems to be the best denominator in most cases.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:25 am

So you’re pretty miserable too huh? diarrhea?? And yea nothing settles mine I had to go.. felt more pain as the night went on and need to go again and didn’t get any sleep bc of it .. what’s the drug that can help bc my stomach didn’t say anything about that and wanted me to keep n eye on it and come in the 7th( but it’s inside the hospital) and that freaks me out .. also wanted a test but that’s scared me too be that’s an even bigger hospital that I sit want to put myself at risk with .. ty for telling me your recovery process .. that’s a long time.. I’m ready to feel better now .. some days I can’t eat anything so idk about diet.. i appreciate your story

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:41 am

Mine has not been WD but not my normal. I use a hot pack to help when needed and I also found a massage to the belly help the pain. A lot of trigger points in there. I wouldnt say miserable but hasnt been easy. Some day worse than others. Yesterday was bad but think it was because of the soup the night before . I personally wouldnt be going into a hospital unless I thought it was life of death right now. I would try and do tela health if I could. My GI mentioned it last week if I felt I needed in person advice. We are not a big town and he was willing for the video conference. He calmed my nerves and said it was normal so I been just taking a day at a time. He did not mention the drugs he just said it was an option. Have you tried diaphramatic breath might help you. Look it up and try it. 6 months seems to be the magic number it seems so that been my saving grace as I only a month out. All keep trying things you never know what going to help or not and maybe off the wall. Some of my safe food are good other people cant tolerate.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:08 am

Yea that’s what I was thinking was that I shouldn’t go unless life or death bc of covid 19.. I know ppl go months w out being dx so I’m comforted by that at least and hope this is just recovery as it has only been two weeks and it started a week after .. that’s why I wanted to know what people’s experiences were.. I just had a banana but I heard some say after meds bananas didn’t work for them or yogurt .. I didn’t eat any yogurt yesterday .. while on vanco I could eat anything .. I’m guessing now I can’t .. but .. I also only ate meat veggie and potato .. so I still try to do that... but with all of this going on sometimes it’s hard to have what I need on hand .. hopefully this will pass soon.. it’s already been over a week

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:31 am

I also finished the Vanco treatment on Friday Feb 20, ( 10 days ago), I still get the abdominal discomfort, cramping bloating, and tenesmus the constant urge for BM most of the day. The BM are once or twice but still irregular, but not watery. I still eat only, rice, mash potato, boiled chicken breast, banana - no vegetable ( except very little broccoli sometime). I take one VLS 3 per day and one multivitamin. I had two small pickles yesterday for first time I read somewhere it can help to rebuild the gut bacteria.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:58 am

Sucks you are going through it too but glad I’m not alone .. I’ll have to order pickles next time I order food.. I have all of that as well.. sounds like ur a month out of u stopped feb 20th that’s good .. or was it March? If so were about the same .. maybe it’s not having the meds in our system anymore bc I was on the first week ..

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Thanks, Sorry I meant March 20th, 10 days ago, that I completed the Vanco treatment, not Feb
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Gotcha ok.. yea we’re on the same track.. I’m
Just slightly in front of u by 5 days I think lol.. I lost track of the days..

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:17 pm

It’s discouraging when some people ask the same questions over and over again as though you don’t believe the answer...

Yes, recovery can be terrible but it is recovery. If you are not having frequent d you are good. As someone’s dr told them it is likely PI IBS, which I have suffered with, as has many of us. Nobody can give you a time frame because it is different for everyone.
I was nauseous off and on for many, many months. There are various remedies. One of the other moderators used sea bands. I used coke syrup. Sometimes I just suffered.

BMs don’t go back to your old patterns. We call that the new normal. Try not to obsess over looking in the bowl. It’s not easy because of the fear.

Diet is key. Stick to bland and add new things one at a time so you know what you can tolerate. Heavy fiber is not a good idea. I couldn’t eat salad for a year. Dairy, fried foods, alcohol, sweets, are frequently hard to tolerate.

Glad you are supporting each other.
Rita

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:09 pm

RIL
Sorry , the reason I ask is bc this is my 3rd time having it and I’m not sure I got rid of it 4 years ago and the meds they had me take just brought toxins out and then it finally overtook again randomly 4 years later after being exposed to my SILs thanksgiving .. I only had the WD twice on the Friday I saw the GI .. but when I tested it was the same snakelike pile it was today .. I had two days where I didn’t even have a bm before I was treated .. so it’s all very confusing to me bc I didn’t have typical symptoms.. my thought was maybe I was a carrier but I tested negative like 15 times over the 4 years .. it’s been a little over 3 weeks now.. I still have most of the issues still but not as often and sometimes I don’t go a day( but also took a lot of pepto twice) I’m trying to lay off of that.. I’m still bloated now after going .. feels like I have to go.. cranking some and praying I don’t have to go again.. but there’s no way I’m going to a hospital to see my Dr rn! I’m glad I have an appetite though and that is something I didn’t have when diagnosed.. I just wanted others experiences so I could compare mine and make sure I’m in the right track bc I have no clue
Last edited by hledgess on Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:26 pm

Wouldn’t the Antigene (GDH) test show if you are carrier or not? I thought the GDH test is to detect the bacteria regardless of if they are toxin or not. And the Toxin (EIA) test is used to identify if you have an active CDI.. but I read that Toxin (EIA) test is only accurate 70% of time, meaning 30% of time provides a false negative result.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:02 pm

Yea idk .. I know my dr uses PCR bc it’s more accurate ...

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:23 pm

I don’t think the PCR would show if you are only a carrier.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”