Normal recovery?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
roy
Administrator

Re: Normal recovery?

Postby roy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:51 pm

PCR will show if your a carrier.
Its 100% possible to be immune from c.diff toxin, that's how the vaccine will work.
Exactly the same as c.diffs big brother clostridium tetani!
AKA tetunus!
Eventualy a vaccine will protect from symptoms by teaching our body not to react to the toxin.
You still get infected but theres no host response.
Only reason a vaccine is possible is that immunity already occurs naturally.
Hence the instruction that no treatment is needed if symptoms dont match the test result.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:53 pm

The articles about Toxin tests being only 70% accurate are many years out of date.
Testing has improved since then.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:19 pm

Thank for the info Roy,

On my 8th day on Flagyl right when dr was switching me to Vanco ( because my symptoms didn’t improve), he ordered 3 tests, but didn’t wait on the results and started me on Vanco anyway.

He tested:

ToxinB Gene PCR = was negative
Toxin (EIA) = was negative
Antigene = was Positive

Based on the above results, he thought I might not have the CDI any more but I am be still a carrier, since the Antigen was positive

The reason we started the original Flagyl, because the Toxin B Gene PCR test was positive 1st and I had the symptoms
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:58 pm

It just showed I was positive for toxin B back in Dec when it started

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:53 pm

NOT the toxin!
Only the DNA marker!

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:59 pm

I saw the test.. it said positive for toxin B .. so that’s not the same thing? As being positive for c diff? Now I’m super confused lol

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:36 pm

Is there a test to detect dormant C-Diff spores in the gut?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:13 am

NO!
Theres no test to detect spores.
Such a test would have little meaning as detecting c.diff is a lot diferent to having the disease caused by c.diff.

Many people carry c.diff as part of their normal gut flora.
Emphasis on its NORMAL.
It's only a problem if for some reason it overgrows and produces enough toxin to cause colitis.
C.diff is NOT automaticaly a disease, its NORMAL flora for many people.
PCR and antigen test will pick up harmless levels of c.diff.
Theres at least 27 types of c.diff and around half produce no toxin, the others produce various amounts so have the potential to cause illness but only if the body responds to the toxin.
Regardless of test results if theres no frequent watery D theres no disease.

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:54 pm

Hledgess, yes it seems like your recovery is extremely normal. It really seems like you have PI IBS like your dr’s have tried telling you. And honestly you might be making yourself sick with your level of anxiety about it. There are so many people that are currently sick with C Diff that would love to be in your situation (“cured” and just dealing with some uncomfortable recovery) but you keep trying to convince yourself that you’re sick when you very clearly aren’t. Having c diff would mean that you have watery D multiple times a day for multiple days. You’re having an occasional “off” BM and even said that some days you don’t go at all. That’s not c diff. There’s no way that Pepto would be able to stop the D from c diff. I was in the ER with it and they were pumping me full of Imodium to try to get the D to stop because it was dehydrating me so badly that I was in early labor. The Imodium didn’t even make a dent, I still was going non-stop. I know that not all cases are that severe but in my opinion, there is no way that you are currently sick.
Have you thought about talking to a therapist? I REALLY struggled for a while after I was sick and therapy helped me a ton. I really think that this is a mental battle for you right now, not a physical one.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”